CANVAS updates browser requirements a week before finals - THANKS!!!

cstarkdragon
Community Novice

I KNEW I couldn't have been the only one experiencing this!

I noticed a couple days ago, I wasn't able to email my teacher with a question. I thought Canvas must be doing some maintenance. Then I noticed Dashboard didn't show my class, I have no access to discussions, announcements, email, classmates, Canvas support and now there is no submission button to submit my homework. I can see Modules just fine but nothing else is working - I get BLANK white screens. Right on time for finals week!! Canvas appears to have been doing some backend things to "update" the system no longer making it compatible with older browsers on older OS.

Sure I have an older MAC running 10.6.8 with Chrome and Firefox but I have been using CANVAS for two years with no problems! Newer Chrome no longer works with outdated OS and NO - I cannot simply update the OS because (1) I dont have $5K lying around for a new computer and (2) that would force me into $ub$cribing to all my software in which I already OWN. Not cost-effective! I also have a newer iPad running OS 10 with Safari with no problem. Until now!! I found out that Canvas now only works with Chrome using OS 11 or 12.

I attempted to contact Canvas support through an old ticket I had in my regular email account but when I called, Tier 1 was far from helpful, actually very much so (trying to be kind here but he was very incompetent). Guy said I am using the right version of Chrome so he doesn't know (he said "I don't know" a lot). I recently got an email saying I am using the outdated version (this I know, but Canvas was working on this old version for 2 years now). 

Canvas needs to make their system backwards compatible. Now I will not be able to finish my certificate unless I risk losing everything on my iPad as it does when there are OS updates. Very frustrated.