cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heather_edwards
Community Contributor

Can Canvas automatically grade submitted assignments?

Jump to solution

I was wondering if it is possible to set up an assignment so that Canvas will automatically give full credit as a grade just for the student having filled in any answer and then submitting it. Obviously I'm talking about essay-style questions, not multiple choice or true/false.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jamely
Community Champion

This thread from several months ago seems to give a working option on how to setup a text assignment as a Survey quiz to autograde Automatic Grading of Text Box Submission​ and the link that  @kona ​ answered with.

Although not an "autograde any submission" answer, maybe this will help in your case 😜

View solution in original post

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @heather_edwards ​...

The purpose of essay questions in a quiz is that students will be giving a variety of answers to your question...and therefore Canvas wouldn't be able to auto-correct those types of questions since answers will vary greatly.  This is confirmed in the Canvas Guide: How do I create an Essay quiz question? where it says, "This question type requires manual grading."  Hope this information is helpful to you, Heather.

heather_edwards
Community Contributor

I'm not asking Canvas to evaluate or assess the quality of the written answer, I was just trying to have it give full credit for any answer at all. Credit for just doing the assignment.

Hi  @heather_edwards ​...

Yup...understood.  I don't think there's any property of essay questions that would say, "If a student types in any text, give full credit."  I'm trying to think of a question/scenario where this would apply, but I'm not coming up with anything.  Could you give an example of how you'd use this in your own course(s)?

jamely
Community Champion

This thread from several months ago seems to give a working option on how to setup a text assignment as a Survey quiz to autograde Automatic Grading of Text Box Submission​ and the link that  @kona ​ answered with.

Although not an "autograde any submission" answer, maybe this will help in your case 😜

View solution in original post

heather_edwards
Community Contributor

Thank you! That is just what I needed!

Glad I could direct you to a fix 😜

berwin
Community Participant

For some reason, the link in the solution didn't work for me. Here's one that does work:

Automatic Grading of Text Box Submission 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @berwin ...

Thanks for providing an updated link for folks in this thread.  The reason the link in the original question does not work is because that link still points to the old Canvas Community site.  Last year, the Canvas Community website transitioned to a new provider, and so not all links from the old Community migrated.  In those cases, I've also had to search this Community site to find a working link.  🙂

Hope this helps!