Can I add a "visiting" student to Canvas for him/her to participate in Classroom Discussion Board Assignments?

Jump to solution
jay_lewenstein
Community Member

Hola Canvas,

First of all, thank you for your tremendous support. 

Today, I have a weird question.

Can I provide a "visiting" student or guest access to our Canvas Discussion Board.

First, I often enjoy modeling entries, responses, etc., through a "fictional" student.  That's the weird part.

For example, I teach my students how to develop and maintain blogs.  In each class, I create a "guest student" blog and then I submit a series of model posts for my students to follow. It works.  I don't think it's that weird.

Here is my question today:

Can I have my "guest student" participate in Canvas discussions.  My students know him/her from our blog assignments. 

Here is the thing:  I won't have a campus email. Can I get by with a gmail account?

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Paz,

JL

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Jay,

It depends a lot on how your school has Canvas set up.  Some schools will not allow for guest accounts like this to be created so you'll want to check with them.

But I do have a different option which might work.  Have you ever used the Student View option in your course?  When you do it creates an account named Test Student which for most part behaves like a normal student account.  You could use this to post as that "guest student" in a similar manner to what you describe.

Rick

View solution in original post