cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riportellat
Community Member

Can I assign students in one course to peer review work of students in a different course?

Jump to solution

I would like students in an upper level course to review and provide feedback to those in a lower level course.  Is there a way for me to do this in Canvas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @riportellat  , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The only way to do this in Canvas is for your upper level students to also be enrolled as students in your lower level courses. You will most likely need the help of your school's Canvas Admin/Support department to accomplish this, and you may want to check your school's policy on this, and especially in regards to FERPA. If your school does permit you to enroll users in your courses, I would exercise considerable caution, and definitely get advice from someone very familiar with FERPA.

My random thought is that your upper level students are not educational peers of your lower level students, and are more equivalent to a TA status. Peer review is often defined as "the evaluation of work by one or more people with similar competences as the producers of the work".  Higher level students would more likely be evaluators or advisors. In the role of evaluators or advisors, I do not anticipate FERPA concerns.

Kelley

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @riportellat  , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The only way to do this in Canvas is for your upper level students to also be enrolled as students in your lower level courses. You will most likely need the help of your school's Canvas Admin/Support department to accomplish this, and you may want to check your school's policy on this, and especially in regards to FERPA. If your school does permit you to enroll users in your courses, I would exercise considerable caution, and definitely get advice from someone very familiar with FERPA.

My random thought is that your upper level students are not educational peers of your lower level students, and are more equivalent to a TA status. Peer review is often defined as "the evaluation of work by one or more people with similar competences as the producers of the work".  Higher level students would more likely be evaluators or advisors. In the role of evaluators or advisors, I do not anticipate FERPA concerns.

Kelley

View solution in original post

Thank you - Unfortunately I think I will have to do it manually!