cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbracksieck
Community Member

Can I create a course that students can collaborate on to add info?

I would like to create a Spanish Honor Society course for the club that  I sponsor but I would like to add my student officers as collaborators so that they can upload material, make announcements, etc.

1.  IS this possible?  If so, how do I add them?

Thank you!

2 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cbracksieck ,

There would be nothing technical from stopping you doing this, depending on the level of access you have to your Canvas Instance there are a few things you can do:

1. If you only have Teacher access at your course level:

You could add the Student Collaborators as Teachers or Teaching Assistants (with this guide How to add teacher ). Be aware that if you do this, as Teachers they will have the exact same privileges as you (and so that may not be your ideal scenario), TA's will have slightly less access depending on how Canvas has been set up. If that is the case you could contact your school's admins (if you are using a hosted version of Canvas) and ask them to consider creating a custom course role for your purposes which only had the access permissions that you desired for your needs which may be a restricted form of the TA role.

2. If you are an admin at your institution, you could follow the second part of the above to create the custom role and call it something along the lines of TA-Student which had less access than a TA and therefore locked things down a little more.

I hope that helps and gives you some guidance, please let me know if you have any questions!
Cheers,
Stuart

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cbracksieck  Welcome to the Canvas Community.   @stuart_ryan  has given you some great suggestions so far.  I wanted to throw in a third option ... creating a group that lives outside of any course.  You can find out more about this by reading through a blog posting I wrote back in March 2017 called Campus Clubs and Groups.  Hope this helps, Carolyn.