cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tflanagan1
Community Member

Can I create weighted categories in the grade book (e.g. tests =35%)?

Jump to solution
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Tim!

This guide will be a great starting point for you:

How do I add an assignment group in a course?

After reviewing the guide, please reply with any follow-up questions! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Tim!

This guide will be a great starting point for you:

How do I add an assignment group in a course?

After reviewing the guide, please reply with any follow-up questions! Smiley Happy

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

Hello, Kristin!

I believe the question above specifically mentions "tests".  The instructions you offer deal with assignments.  Could you, please, address weighting tests?  Thanks.

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

Hello again, Kristin!

A further problem: Canvas's own instructions do not match what actually appears.  Please, see the following screen capture:

Screen capture of Canvas Add Group function

As you can see, there is nothing which allows for weighting the Assignment Group.

Please, advise further!

Hi  @mdunn_adjunct  

First, Canvas calls all graded content (assignments, graded discussions and quizzes) "Assignments, and all will be listed on the Assignment's Index page.

You create assignment Groups on the Assignment Index page, which I note you have already found. Take what you have done one step further, and you will be on the right track - you cannot weight an assignment group until after you create the Group. Once you have created the groups, you can then weight the groups. This guide will get you there https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10059-415267002 

Let us know if you need more help,

Kelley

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

Hello, Kelley!

Thanks for the reply.

Please, see the following screen capture from the instructions given above:

336787_1.jpg

I'm sure we can agree that it is confusing, to say the least . . . the "Note" notwithstanding.

If you follow Canavs's own directions 1, 2, 3 you will not get the above with a box asking for "% of total grade".  Instead, you will get what I got.

As can be seen from my other screen capture above, Assignment Groups were already pre-existing in the program before I tried to follow Kristin's instructions above.  Still, no option for weighting came up.

Finally, thanks for the new instructions.  But, I'm not sure why I have to go "one step further".  The guide offered should have answered the question.

Finally finally, Tim's question above specified weghting (for instance) tests.  That was never answered or addressed.  Could someone, please, address Tim's question above?