cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbledsoe
Community Participant

Can I embed a link to a video file within the course files on a content page?

Jump to solution

I have several video tutorial files that our SME has uploaded into the course files, but I can't find an embed url for those files to be able to display them on the content page.  I have seen how to embed from vimeo or YouTube, but that would involve downloading from course files, then re-uploading into the service before embedding and I'd rather not do that if I can play it directly from within the course files where the video file already lives. 

Update: I did figure out I can click on the file to link it and a thumbnail will appear that can be clicked on and it expands while it's playing.  However, is there a way to modify the size of the thumbnail or is that set?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lita

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kenneth_rogers
Community Champion

Alrighty,  @lbledsoe  - sorry for the SPAM, but I just couldn't leave this alone! I can't figure out how to fix the size of the thumbnail, but I can address how to embed a video file you've uploaded to the Course Files. Check this out and let me know if it helps!

1. Go to your Course Files, find the video file, Right Click, and Copy the link location:
    260536_pastedImage_1.png
  2. Insert Media like you would do from YouTube/Vimeo/etc.
  3. Paste the link you copied for the source.
  4. Change the dimensions you want for the player. Make sure Constrain Proportions is checked.
    260625_pastedImage_3.png
    260626_pastedImage_4.png
  5. Click ok! (Or modify sections in the other tabs if you wish Smiley Wink)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Community Champion

Hi there,  @lbledsoe !

Great question about changing the size of the thumbnail! Admittedly, I'm in the same boat as you and don't know exactly how to do that. I'm going to play with this and see what I can figure out, but for now I'm going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=acdd29d7-c141-49bb-b090-b467209d1ae...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=249486cb-06e1-405b-963d-...‌ groups to see if someone from there can answer your question!

kenneth_rogers
Community Champion

Alrighty,  @lbledsoe  - sorry for the SPAM, but I just couldn't leave this alone! I can't figure out how to fix the size of the thumbnail, but I can address how to embed a video file you've uploaded to the Course Files. Check this out and let me know if it helps!

1. Go to your Course Files, find the video file, Right Click, and Copy the link location:
    260536_pastedImage_1.png
  2. Insert Media like you would do from YouTube/Vimeo/etc.
  3. Paste the link you copied for the source.
  4. Change the dimensions you want for the player. Make sure Constrain Proportions is checked.
    260625_pastedImage_3.png
    260626_pastedImage_4.png
  5. Click ok! (Or modify sections in the other tabs if you wish Smiley Wink)

View solution in original post

lbledsoe
Community Participant

Yes, helpful  @kenneth_rogers ‌!  Thanks so much for taking the time to help; this will be much easier than what I ended up doing as a workaround in the html editor 😄

I'm glad I could help,  @lbledsoe !