Can I have an assignment with a value different than its point total?

Jump to solution
flee1
Community Participant

In most LMS or gradebook systems I've used in the past, you can give an assignment a different value than the number of questions it has for the purpose of weighing each assignment within a category. For example, I give in person assessments (mathematical problems that require students to show work) and some quizzes have more questions than others, meaning they will have more points in total. However, I want these quizzes to be weighted the same. 

I have done a fair amount of searching and have not found anything useful. Most of the workarounds involved doing some calculations on a spreadsheet, which is totally unacceptable and defeats the purpose of having Canvas that can "do everything". Or you can use New Quizzes, which doesn't work for me because the type of assessment given are done on paper by hand. This seems like something that can be easily coded in to Canvas, but isn't. Am I missing something?

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hello,

In Canvas, the number of points on a quiz is not based just on the number of questions, but on the points awarded for each question.  Canvas simply adds up the points per question for all the questions in the quiz.  If you have a quiz with 10 questions that you want to be worth 50 points, then each question should be worth 5 points, etc.

I'm not sure how this is related to "the type of assessment given are done on paper by hand", though, since something done on paper by hand and submitted outside of Canvas is an "offline assignment" rather than a "quiz" for Canvas purposes, and you can assign it whatever points possible you want.

View solution in original post