Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adrian_taylor

Can I make different canvas courses associated with the same powerschool course number?

Jump to solution

Classes for new school year for Charlotte Mecklenburg schools are in power-school but not in canvas. I cannot link my previous years classes to my new class in canvas.   Can I make different canvas courses associated with the same powerschool course number. I teach journalism to three different grade levels all using the same course number.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

No,

I teach 6th 7th and 8th grade journalism, I do set up different assignments by block so they can see them but when I post resources or presentations some students look at the wrong ones, it would be so much better if the site was configurable for each section, also if you had an EC class or standard vs honors you would need to set up a separate page so that you could have different texts.

Adrian Taylor

Journalism 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Elective

Community House Middle School

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@adrian_taylor ​, I'm going to share this with the K-12​ group in the community to see if they can help and will also recommend you check out the following document to see if it contains some useful information on this - Instructor Help: Using PowerSchool in Canvas

Hope this helps!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@adrian_taylor ​, did you ever get an answer for this?

No,

I teach 6th 7th and 8th grade journalism, I do set up different assignments by block so they can see them but when I post resources or presentations some students look at the wrong ones, it would be so much better if the site was configurable for each section, also if you had an EC class or standard vs honors you would need to set up a separate page so that you could have different texts.

Adrian Taylor

Journalism 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Elective

Community House Middle School

@adrian_taylor ​, for what it's worth, here's some food for thought: Generally speaking, Canvas courses are set up so that there is one umbrella course for resources, and that course encompasses sections (blocks) that allow you to differentiate assignments by block, because--again, generally speaking--most teachers want to use the same resources for their courses, while differentiating assignment due dates and assignment content by section. Your use case suggests to me that, for future school years, you might want to have each block in a different course, so that each block has a different set of resources. And this would have to be set up not only in Canvas but also in PowerSchool. Is that a configuration (or exception) that your school would be willing to accommodate?