cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidi1
Community Contributor

Can I make only one item in a module a prerequisite

Jump to solution

We want  to make only one item in a module required prior to taking a quiz.  From the documentation, it appears my only option is to require that students move through in sequential order.  Am I understanding this correctly?

How do I require students to move through each Module item in order? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Can...

Thanks,

Heidi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hello  @heidi1 ​,

You can use the option to force students to move sequentially through a module, or not, and can have viewing, submitting, etc for one module item only be a prereq for a different module.  So if you put the quiz in one module, you can make one content item in another module be the prereq for the quiz.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hello  @heidi1 ​,

You can use the option to force students to move sequentially through a module, or not, and can have viewing, submitting, etc for one module item only be a prereq for a different module.  So if you put the quiz in one module, you can make one content item in another module be the prereq for the quiz.

View solution in original post

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Heidi,

In some of our language courses, we might have a wiki page with an embedded video, some text headers, a quiz, an assignment submission, and a discussion forum. However, only the assignment submission and the quiz would be a pre-requisite for moving on to the next module or next block of modules.  If you leave the "sequential order" unchecked then you can select what the pre-reqs are that have to be completed/viewed/score at least ___ before the next module(s) becomes available.

kbesaw
Instructure
Instructure

hi @heidi1 

In our most recent release, we added the ability for and/or requirements in modules. This might help so that you can select one of a couple of options in order for a student to advance. More information about that release can be found in the release notes here: Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-10) .

Here is a screenshot that might help save time:

119993_pastedImage_1.png