cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lsickler
Community Participant

Can I move a student through module requirements?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to move an individual student through a module requirements and allow them to access something further down the list?  I would like to make a manual adjustment, but just for one student. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lsickler , if your Module requirements are just Assignments (discussions, quizzes, assignments), the quickest and easiest way to have a student be able to bypass them is to enter an EX in the gradebook for the student (for each assignment). The EX stands for "excused" and will allow the student to skip these assignments if they are required for a module.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
agooch
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Lindsey,

As of right now, Canvas does not support individualized module requirements as it might with a differentiated assignment​. you may be able to use differentiated assignments to (somewhat) accomplish what you would like, depending on what you hope to accomplish. I would be interested in hearing more details about the use case you have.

kblack
Community Champion

There was a now-archived (alas) feature request that did not get enough votes that might have helped with this here: . I'm a bit surprised it did not garner more votes, though many of us don't always have the time to look over what's out there in requests.  That's too bad...I could see this being especially useful in certain cases for special needs students, as well.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lsickler , if your Module requirements are just Assignments (discussions, quizzes, assignments), the quickest and easiest way to have a student be able to bypass them is to enter an EX in the gradebook for the student (for each assignment). The EX stands for "excused" and will allow the student to skip these assignments if they are required for a module.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

lsickler
Community Participant

@kona ​, that's an excellent idea!  The excused option is part of the new UI, right?  Our district hasn't made the switch yet, but happy  to know I'll have the solution to my problem when we do.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lsickler ​, nope, I've used it myself and we're still using the old UI! So use away! Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here is a work around for allowing just one student to bypass specific requirements/prerequisites (and if desired, give the student a zero on the assignment) - Bypassing Requirements/Prerequisitse