cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhalsey
Community Member

Can I prevent students from messaging one another?

Jump to solution

Can I prevent students from messaging one another?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mhalsey , at the Instructor level, no. At the Canvas admin level, yes, it is possible to turn off the ability for students to message each other. If you are an Instructor then you would want to talk with your Canvas admin about this functionality.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mhalsey , at the Instructor level, no. At the Canvas admin level, yes, it is possible to turn off the ability for students to message each other. If you are an Instructor then you would want to talk with your Canvas admin about this functionality.

View solution in original post

ramy_saied
Community Member

Hi kona,

we have a requirement to prevent teacher to send messages to students and parents, also for students and parents, the messages should only be with the administrator for all "teachers, parents and students"

can we configure it in canvas or not and where is the configuration if its exist, and also is it will be affected also in the mobile app or not

thanks

If you have admin rights in Canvas then you should be able to go to the Admin side of Canvas and then Permissions and disable these two permissions for teachers, students, and anyone else you don't want to be able to message people - "Send messages to individual course members." and "Send messages to the entire class."

Hope this helps!

ssswanson1
Community Member

@kona  Hi, but how do you make it so students can't message each other, but they can still message the teacher?  Thanks!

wmercer
Community Member

This is a VERY IMPORTANT thing we need to be able to do ... disable all students to student messaging, but still allow students to have conversations with teachers. Please make this a priority feature to add. The option for students to be able to send messages to individual course members needs to have TWO choice - to other students or to instructors. 

wmercer_0-1597866595378.png

LM4
Community Member

I read your solution however my university (California State University Northridge) Information Technology Center indicated that they do not have the ability through administrator privileges to disable students' ability to message one another via Canvas. They indicated that only the Canvas software company can make that change and add a feature that allows faculty and/or the university to change the settings. If this information is not correct could you please post any links indicating otherwise that I can show to my university. The reason this feature is highly important is that due to so many classes going completely online due to the pandemic, students create GroupMe aka "Cheating Groups" where they share information at a scale and in real-time that would otherwise not be possible without having everyone's contact info. The only way to prevent this from happening is to not allow students to contact one another. It is truly disappointing that Canvas hasn't dealt with this issue. Thank you for any information you can provide.