cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
covel
Community Member

Can I purchase additional storage space on Canvas?

Jump to solution

I have a Canvas course not associated with a school. We want to inquire about purchasing additional storage space for documents. Is this possible? What is the cost? Where do I go to purchase?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Stephanie,

I don't believe it's possible to purchase additional storage on the "free for teachers" version of Canvas.  But, one thing you might consider if you have a larger space requirement is to use a cloud storage system that integrates with Canvas.  If you use something like Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, or OneDrive, you should be able to enable and LTI integration with those systems in the Apps tab of your course settings.  Check out the first two links from here https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10460#jive_content_id_External_Apps_LTI to get information about how to add LTI integrations to your Canvas course.

I'll also just add a comment about the size of your files.  I don't know what you are posting but keep in mind that large files take time for students to download and can be an unneeded frustration for students.  If you have Powerpoint of PDF files that are large, consider options for compressing them to keep them smaller.  If you have videos that you've uploaded to files, that is not the best way to stream them.  I don't know if Free for teachers works this way, but I typically suggest people upload video using the Record/Upload Media button in the Rich Content Editor 305042_pastedImage_2.png

This option re-encodes the video to stream on any type of device and on the pay version of Canvas, does NOT count against the course quota.  You also could use a free site like YouTube to host videos.  There is a setting in YouTube to make a video Unlisted.  This means you can link to it or embed in Canvas and it will work as being publicly available, but it's never going to show up in a search of YouTube videos.  

Good luck.  If I totally missed the point of the question and it's not the Free for Teachers version of Canvas you are using, please post back and let us know.

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Stephanie,

I don't believe it's possible to purchase additional storage on the "free for teachers" version of Canvas.  But, one thing you might consider if you have a larger space requirement is to use a cloud storage system that integrates with Canvas.  If you use something like Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, or OneDrive, you should be able to enable and LTI integration with those systems in the Apps tab of your course settings.  Check out the first two links from here https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10460#jive_content_id_External_Apps_LTI to get information about how to add LTI integrations to your Canvas course.

I'll also just add a comment about the size of your files.  I don't know what you are posting but keep in mind that large files take time for students to download and can be an unneeded frustration for students.  If you have Powerpoint of PDF files that are large, consider options for compressing them to keep them smaller.  If you have videos that you've uploaded to files, that is not the best way to stream them.  I don't know if Free for teachers works this way, but I typically suggest people upload video using the Record/Upload Media button in the Rich Content Editor 305042_pastedImage_2.png

This option re-encodes the video to stream on any type of device and on the pay version of Canvas, does NOT count against the course quota.  You also could use a free site like YouTube to host videos.  There is a setting in YouTube to make a video Unlisted.  This means you can link to it or embed in Canvas and it will work as being publicly available, but it's never going to show up in a search of YouTube videos.  

Good luck.  If I totally missed the point of the question and it's not the Free for Teachers version of Canvas you are using, please post back and let us know.

Rick

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@covel , Rick has given you great guidance. On the assumption that you are indeed referring to Free for Teachers, I can confirm that Canvas does not have an option for individuals or small groups to purchase additional storage for Free for Teachers courses—but Rick's suggestions about managing course content should serve you well. FWIW, I used to teach media-rich courses (for a school that paid for Canvas, so my course quota was 500MB), yet my course storage never even approached the 250MB-limit of Free for Teachers. Using external sites such as YouTube and Google Drive to store the media content that tends to consume megabytes will help instructors stay well within limits.