cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lowh

Can I recover history? Assignments and students have disappeared!

Dear community - I have an emergency situation here! My course starts Monday morning, and I'm just trying to finishing my lecture by inserting the examples the students uploaded to Canvas as a preparatory assignment. BUT the 18 assignments I saw earlier last week have disappeared - the only two available are the late submitted ones. And the 18 students who submitted on time seem to have disappeared too. I can't find any 'history' or record of this. Please help!  Best, Louise

5 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lowh ​...

Oh no...this doesn't sound good.  To be clear, are you saying that the majority of your students are not appearing in your "People" tab of your course any longer?  If that is the case, then you will need to reach out to one of the Canvas admins at your school to see if they are able to re-load the students for you.  It doesn't sound "normal" that students would be dropped from your course for no reason at all.  Assuming that your students need to be re-enrolled, once that has been completed, those submissions *should* reappear in your course.

I hope this helps, Louise!

Thanks Chris! That's correct, and as you say I fear that my university may be the only ones able to solve it, it must be something to do with the syncing between the student database and the course rooms. I'm just kicking myself I didn't download the examples the students submitted when I scanned them last week 😞

p.s. I just had an email alert of a further late assignment being uploaded, but when I click on the link in the email I get the alert “the specified user is not a student in this course”

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lowh ​, my recommendation is to check your Canvas test and beta environment to see if any of the information is still there. They are not automatically updated so depending on when students uploaded the assignments you still might be able to access them.

Here are the directions for accessing Beta and Test.

How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

How do I access the Canvas test environment?

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't then I'd click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem - this is a good way to contact Canvas Support and get higher level assistance.

Thanks for the tip, Kona - that sounds like a good idea. Thankfully though, the students all reappeared in the course this morning, and I've checked that one student who had contacted me about suddenly losing access can now access the course room again. I'll update this thread if my university uncovers the cause of the problem.