cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmatson
Community Participant

Can I rename the word question in a quiz?

Jump to solution

We would like to use the Canvas quiz tool to deliver an entire lesson. We will take advantage of the Text (no question) to load class content like pdf files and videos and then ask quiz questions, rinse and repeat. When we build a question we can change the word Question to something else yet that does not display in the quiz side bar. Does anyone know how to change the side bar? I will show three images to make this question clearer I hope.

303455_QuestionChange.jpg

303456_QuestionDisplayWhileEditing.jpg

303457_QuestionDisplayedStill.jpg

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @kmatson . As far as I'm aware it's not possible to change this within the course/quiz settings. The question name that you enter when building the quiz is not visible to students. It's only seen by course teachers when editing the quiz and viewing question banks; I think its main purpose is to help teachers quickly identify questions in a course that has a lot of quizzes.
The only way to change it that I can think of would be using custom CSS/JavaScript that identifies when the user is on the quiz page then searches for each item and amends the text. This would require a certain amount of programming skill and would involve the code being added at system level by your local Canvas admin, so might not be practical in your case.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @kmatson . As far as I'm aware it's not possible to change this within the course/quiz settings. The question name that you enter when building the quiz is not visible to students. It's only seen by course teachers when editing the quiz and viewing question banks; I think its main purpose is to help teachers quickly identify questions in a course that has a lot of quizzes.
The only way to change it that I can think of would be using custom CSS/JavaScript that identifies when the user is on the quiz page then searches for each item and amends the text. This would require a certain amount of programming skill and would involve the code being added at system level by your local Canvas admin, so might not be practical in your case.

View solution in original post

lars_vemund_sol
Community Contributor

Another way to approach this is using mastery paths: How do I use MasteryPaths in course modules? 

I believe that this is made just for the case you are describing.

You could also use modules with prerequisites: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13092-415241433 

Lars