Can I use the REST API to import a testbank?

wayne_smith
Community Explorer

Colleagues,

I use R and Python to make many versions of similar questions, especially for STEM-oriented courses.  Essentially, in a quiz, each question is a question group that pulls from a specific testbank carefully crafted with hundreds of versions of a question ("formula quiz" functionality is limited in a number of ways, so I do the versioning myself outside of Canvas--plus, as far as I can tell, Canvas doesn't support the "cloze" format, only QTI).

I have no problem importing the many testbanks (again, one per question) in QTI format, but I have to do that work manually (which adds up for midterms and finals...sigh).  I'm comfortable with the API and I mostly use UCF's (thank you!) Python package.  However, I don't see any REST API (or more recently, GraphQL) functionality on the Canvas API documentation page for the "import" process in Canvas.

1) Can I just upload a testbank as a regular file (uploading files can indeed be automated via the API), make sure it's private, and then, somehow, tag it as a testbank to be used for quizzes only?

2) Am I missing an API call for the import functionality in Canvas?

3) Or?

Thanks,

Wayne

Labels (1)
0 Likes