Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
principal

Can K-12 administrators prohibit deletion of emails?

Jump to solution

Watching a Canvas video on how to use Conversations, I noticed that there is a button that enables students to delete messages.  Students should NOT be allowed to delete their messages.  Can administrators turn off this feature for students?

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@principal ​, as far as I'm aware the only possible way to do this would be through some custom javascript. Otherwise, there is no built in functionality that would allow you to prevent students from deleting emails.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
biray
Community Champion

Hi  @principal ​ - You originally posted this question in the Meta Community Group​ which is a place for discussions and ideas related to the Canvas Community. I've moved your question to the Find Answers​ space where you'll hopefully get a faster response by one of our Canvas Coaches​.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@principal ​, as far as I'm aware the only possible way to do this would be through some custom javascript. Otherwise, there is no built in functionality that would allow you to prevent students from deleting emails.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@principal , in addition to what  @kona ​ has stated, I want to emphasize--in case you don't already know this--that when students delete their messages they are only deleting their local copy of the message. Students cannot erase a message or conversation from existence. So if a teacher chooses to remind a student via the Canvas Inbox that he or she has been informed of something, perhaps by sending a follow-up to a previous message, the entire conversation will be reproduced in the student's inbox. Or, if students profess non-receipt of a message--considering how incredibly easy it is for a teacher to retrieve that message or for an admin to confirm that the student has clicked on the Inbox--that responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of students. Smiley Wink

If you still find the need to pursue a custom javascript solution to this functionality, you might want to re-post your question in the Canvas Developers​ space.

...or maybe someone in the K-12​ space has come up with a creative solution.

0 Kudos