cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laura_Orsetti
Community Participant

Can Speedgrader open into a NEW tab when accessed from the NEW gradebook?

In the "old" gradebook, when you were in there and clicked on a button to open Speedgrader, the Speedgrader would open in a new tab.  This was great to be able to work in Speedgrader and then close that tab, allowing you to go back to where you were in the Gradebook without reloading everything.

However in the "new" gradebook, clicking on Speedgrader opens it in the same tab.  Our faculty are getting frustrated that they then have to navigate back to the course, back to the gradebook, back to where they were, in order to do continue working in the gradebook after they are done in the Speedgrader. 

I have suggested that they right-click and 'open in a new tab', at least until this changes, but it seems that everywhere else in Canvas, when you click on a Speedgrader button it opens in a new tab.  Can it be the same here for consistency?

#gradebook new

Tags (1)
6 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @Laura_Orsetti .  I would agree as my preference would be for SpeedGrader to open in a new tab as well.  Have you thought about creating a feature idea for this?  Here is a page with some information on the feature idea process and how to create a feature idea.

How does the feature idea process work? 

How do I create a new feature idea? 

It is interesting to note that even in the older gradebook, there are ways to access SpeedGrader which open in a new tab (i.e. by selecting a cell and clicking "More details in the SpeedGrader") and others that open SpeedGrader in the same tab (i.e. by selecting SpeedGrader from the menu under the down arrow in the title of each grade column).  

If your faculty are not aware of this option, from the SpeedGrader window they can navigate directly back to the gradebook by selecting the gradebook button in the upper left-hand side of the SpeedGrader window (see below).

270873_back to gradebook.png

All the best!

Laura_Orsetti
Community Participant

Thanks Eric!  I just created a feature request.

in the older gradebook, there are ways to access SpeedGrader which open in a new tab (i.e. by selecting a cell and clicking "More details in the SpeedGrader")

In the new gradebook, there is no button to "view more details in the speedgrader."  The only link I have been able to find to access the speedgrader is the link that appears in the grade details tray.  Clicking that opens the speedgrader in the same tab.  If there is another link to Speedgrader in the new gradebook, I haven't found it yet, but would appreciate knowing.

270871_speedgrader.png

open SpeedGrader in the same tab (i.e. by selecting SpeedGrader from the menu under the down arrow in the title of each grade column).

This does not exist as an option in the new gradebook. This is what I see:

270870_menu.png

If your faculty are not aware of this option, from the SpeedGrader window they can navigate directly back to the gradebook by selecting the gradebook button in the upper left-hand side of the SpeedGrader window (see below).

Thanks for the reminder.  Admittedly I did forget about this. While it does get you one step closer to where you were, it still requires you to reload the gradebook and navigate back to where you were.

I really do appreciate the tips, and think faculty can manage with the right-click option for now.  Maybe Canvas will eventually take pity and switch it to 'open in a new tab' by default.

Hi  @Laura_Orsetti .  Thanks for submitting a new idea as I didn't see this covered specifically for the new gradebook or in the features being considered in the next phase of the gradebook (New Gradebook Users Group).  I went ahead and voted it up.  

You are correct in that there is only one way currently to access SpeedGrader in the new gradebook while a couple of methods in the older gradebook.  I'm not sure if having multiple ways to open SpeedGrader in the new gradebook is necessary, but I was a bit surprised that SpeedGrader opened in the same tab in the new gradebook considering how it functions in the current gradebook when accessed through individual cells. 

As you mentioned there are workarounds, but am glad there is an idea now so that folks can provide feedback on the way this functions in the future!

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @Laura_Orsetti ‌ and ericwerth! To close the loop, here's the link to Laura's newly created idea:
https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11114-make-speedgrader-open-in-a-new-tab-in-new-gradebook 

...and here's the link to a related idea which came to mind as I was reading this discussion:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10638-location-of-speedgrader-in-the-new-gradebook 

Excellent.  Thanks stefaniesanders!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Laura_Orsetti ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie