One of our teachers did add students to a newly created section.
After a few weeks he noticed that two students were not enrolled in the section anymore.
The students told the teacher that they did get a reminder from Canvas with the question if they still wanted to be subscribed in the section. The students that did answer no, where unenrolled from the section.
Is this possible?
Does Canvas let students unenroll themself from sections?
First, I want to apologize for your question sitting in the community for so long without a response.
Second, it looks like you have stumped the Canvas Community. Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while, so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.
Yes. I did figure it out in the end. There is a bug in Canvas.
1. Students are added to a course with different sections.
2. The teacher wants to add some of this students to a section. He can do this in the people tab (+people, paste email addresses, select the name of the section)
3. Students will be invited to participate to the new section, but before they accept the invitation, they will be able to access assignments, quizzes,... that are only available for the section they have been invited to.
4. Students will be able to submit quizzes and the grades will be available in the gradebook.
5. After that, students can still decline the course invitation, and the grades that were in the gradebook will disappear.
The teacher will not be noticed of this. Everything seems normal until grades suddenly disappear. This can be tricky if the quizzes and assignments are used to calculate a final grade.
I will create a ticket for this, because Canvas support told me that this was normal behaviour, and that dual enrolment should be avoided.