cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevin_hulen
Community Participant

Can canvas commons be used as a development site for creating courses?

Jump to solution

Can canvas commons be used as a development site for creating courses that will eventually be copied into a LIVE Canvas course shell? If so, where do you go to start creating the course in Commons?

I understand that canvas commons is a repository for modules, graphics, etc. So I am wondering if you can create an entire course in Canvas Commons and just have it waiting to be imported into the LIVE course shell. Are there limits to how much content an individual can store in the commons?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kevin_hulen ​, Canvas Commons is a repository for different types of course content. It is not a LMS, so no, you can't create courses or content in Commons. You would need to create the content in your regular Canvas environment and then upload and share it to Commons as needed. But yes, you can create an entire course in Canvas, share it to Commons, and then import it into a course shell (live or not). I've never heard of a limit on how much you can share/store in Commons, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

In general, I'd recommend reviewing the following resources for Commons

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kevin_hulen ​, Canvas Commons is a repository for different types of course content. It is not a LMS, so no, you can't create courses or content in Commons. You would need to create the content in your regular Canvas environment and then upload and share it to Commons as needed. But yes, you can create an entire course in Canvas, share it to Commons, and then import it into a course shell (live or not). I've never heard of a limit on how much you can share/store in Commons, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

In general, I'd recommend reviewing the following resources for Commons

View solution in original post

kevin_hulen
Community Participant

Thanks  @kona , the additional resources you provided were very helpful.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE Twitter Chat #CanvasChat: Managing Masters (2/14) which is coming up this Tuesday, February 14, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.