cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
molly
Community Participant

Can instructors link to their personal files from a course?

Jump to solution

For example, if I have files saved under my profile, can I access those directly from a course? Like, if I was creating an announcement and wanted to link to a file saved in my profile? Or, do I always have to upload files separately to each course?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@molly ​, only the files that are uploaded to "Course Files" are accessible to you in the Insert Content into the Page panel that appears in the Edit view of a content item such as an announcement. The only exception to this is that you can access image files that reside in your personal files by clicking on the Embed Image (little tree) icon that appears in the Rich Content Editor, clicking on the Canvas tab, and then selecting "My Files" from the file hierarchy. Other files that reside in your personal files are not accessible through the RCE.

Also, the Canvas Guides explain that instructors can drag and drop files from their personal files into their course files, so you can do this before creating the announcement in order to make the files accessible to you in the Insert Content panel of the course. See: Where are my personal Files as an instructor? and Where are my course Files as an instructor?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@molly ​, only the files that are uploaded to "Course Files" are accessible to you in the Insert Content into the Page panel that appears in the Edit view of a content item such as an announcement. The only exception to this is that you can access image files that reside in your personal files by clicking on the Embed Image (little tree) icon that appears in the Rich Content Editor, clicking on the Canvas tab, and then selecting "My Files" from the file hierarchy. Other files that reside in your personal files are not accessible through the RCE.

Also, the Canvas Guides explain that instructors can drag and drop files from their personal files into their course files, so you can do this before creating the announcement in order to make the files accessible to you in the Insert Content panel of the course. See: Where are my personal Files as an instructor? and Where are my course Files as an instructor?

View solution in original post

MattHanes
Community Champion

I tried it by uploading a file to my Profile and sending the link to a fake student account that I use. The student was forbidden from accessing the link. I didn't see any sharing options accept to share the file to the Commons which won't help for sharing with students.

Another alternative to uploading the file to each course would be to host the file on a Cloud File Storage system like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive. I use Dropbox all the time. I just put things I need to share in my Public folder and share the link. You don't have to put it in your Public folder though. You can generate a link using any of those services that is not "public" but can be accessed by everyone that has the link.

molly
Community Participant

OK, thanks for your replies!