Top Navigation menu under construction from 9:30am to 4:30pm MDT. For more information or tips for finding Community content, click here.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kpaynter
Community Participant

Can late quizzes be held for manual grading?

Jump to solution

In Blackboard, if a student submitted a quiz late, it was sent to the "needs grading" queue (even if the quiz is normally auto-graded). Does Canvas have a similar feature?

I am teaching in Canvas for the first time, and just noticed in my gradebook that all students who submitted quizzes late got full credit. I had to manually go in and adjust their grades. 

I do not want to apply the "across-the-board" late submission policy (e.g. automatically deduct 10% per day or whatever for late attempts) because sometimes students have legit reasons for submitting late and/or I have pre-approved them to be late.

I just want the auto-graded quizzes to somehow pop up so that I can manually apply the late penalty if they are submitted late.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Not applicable

Hi  @kpaynter  - Unfortunately, no....though it appears you are the not first person to be wondering about this.  There is a (largely unvoted-for) Feature Idea out there:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13080-hide-late-quiz-submission-grades.  You might want to take a look at Renee Carney's reply and link to another idea which would solve this issue....namely the ability to mute an assignment for just one student, which would also solve your dilemma.  In both cases, it must be said that the quiz would still be automatically graded, but just muted or waiting for you to approve in the case of the Feature Idea.  Perhaps this could be another Feature Idea(?).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable

Welcome, Kelly.  I do not know of any such queue.  However, I have gone in and locked a quiz with a password when the deadline has ended.  This required the student to ask me for the access code and I would know whether to deduct points or not.

kblack
Not applicable

Hi  @kpaynter  - Unfortunately, no....though it appears you are the not first person to be wondering about this.  There is a (largely unvoted-for) Feature Idea out there:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13080-hide-late-quiz-submission-grades.  You might want to take a look at Renee Carney's reply and link to another idea which would solve this issue....namely the ability to mute an assignment for just one student, which would also solve your dilemma.  In both cases, it must be said that the quiz would still be automatically graded, but just muted or waiting for you to approve in the case of the Feature Idea.  Perhaps this could be another Feature Idea(?).

View solution in original post

Not applicable

@kpaynter  , I just saw an option in SpeedGrader to sort the assignment by submission date!  (I hadn't seen this before today.)

Go to the gear icon in the top left corner, and a dropdown menu appears.  Click on options, and there will be a block with another dropdown menu.  This is where you change it!  Maybe that will help you!

309795_pastedImage_1.png