cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ewh10
Community Participant

Can quiz answers be downloaded by letter rather than answer text?

Jump to solution

I have a quiz that I need to do some special grading on (if they answered a for 1 and c for 2 then they get X pts, but b for ...). When I export the "Student Analysis" report (CSV) the student responses come in as the text of the answer. This is a pain because (1) the answers often have special characters in them that are difficult to decipher/distinguish when I open in Excel and (2) Excel mangles the results because it tries to interpret them as dates/formulae etc. 

Is there any way to just get the student responses as the response letter/number they chose rather than the text of the answer? This would make it so much easier to analyze the file.

Thanks,

Eric

PS  Yes, I know that I could import the CSV into excel rather than just opening it and tell excel to read everything as text so that it doesn't reformat it. And yes I could figure out what the answers are for each question (once they've been converted to weird characters in the CSV file) and then write a lookup conversion in excel to make this a,b,c... or 1,2,3... output. Having started down this path and realizing what a pain it was I was hoping that there was an easier way.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@ewh10 ​,

I feel your pain.

With multiple dropdown questions, the values aren't even in a consistent order so you can't just split on a comma and then match them based on order. It's even worse if two of the responses had the same options -- then it's impossible to tell which part they were answering. And if your response contains a comma in it, it makes it even harder.

I'm certainly not justifying it, but I think it's a limitation of the CSV format. You get one sheet and so you can't have another sheet that provides the responses that match the codes. I would want to know that 1 => "Yes" and 2 => "No" or the 1 and 2 is useless.

Having the text of the answer there allows for the response text to change if the teacher found a mistake in the responses. That way, you can see which students got the bad options. If you just had 1,2,3 or a,b,c, there would be no way to distinguish that.

But yes, it's ugly, and limited for users wishing to advanced analysis. And quiz responses are not available in Canvas Data, so you can't even get to it in a usable manner there.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
James
Community Champion

@ewh10 ​,

I feel your pain.

With multiple dropdown questions, the values aren't even in a consistent order so you can't just split on a comma and then match them based on order. It's even worse if two of the responses had the same options -- then it's impossible to tell which part they were answering. And if your response contains a comma in it, it makes it even harder.

I'm certainly not justifying it, but I think it's a limitation of the CSV format. You get one sheet and so you can't have another sheet that provides the responses that match the codes. I would want to know that 1 => "Yes" and 2 => "No" or the 1 and 2 is useless.

Having the text of the answer there allows for the response text to change if the teacher found a mistake in the responses. That way, you can see which students got the bad options. If you just had 1,2,3 or a,b,c, there would be no way to distinguish that.

But yes, it's ugly, and limited for users wishing to advanced analysis. And quiz responses are not available in Canvas Data, so you can't even get to it in a usable manner there.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ewh10 ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since  @James ‌' response on January 11, 2017.  In reviewing his response, it doesn't look like there's an easy answer to your question.  Have you been able to come up with any other solutions on your own since your initial posting on January 10th?  Or, are you still looking for some help?  If you've got a solution, please come back here to post an update.  For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from adding additional replies to this topic.  If you feel James' response is "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Eric.

ewh10
Community Participant

I guess that it is answered in the sense of "no, you can't do it."

If anyone has written code to consume one of these CSV files and spit out something useful it would be great if it could be shared. Maybe I'll just have to do it.