Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daria_minina
Community Participant

Can students change course settings?

Jump to solution

Hello!

Can students change course setting? Is it possible to the students to change settings and not receive e-mails for new announcements? (actually, we fear that they can Smiley Wink )

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@daria_minina ​...

To be clear, course "Settings" are only something that instructors/teachers/admins have access to.  These are settings about the course that a student cannot control or set.

But, what I think you're actually asking about are notification settings for a student.  So, to answer that question, yes...it's entirely possible that any given student could go to his/her notification settings (via "Account" >> "Notifications") and choose to not receive e-mail notifications of course announcements.  Or, they may choose to get e-mail notifications about new announcements immediately, via a daily summary, or via a weekly summary.  It's entirely their choice.  In addition, students could also choose to receive a notification about a new announcement if they connected a Twitter account or if they set it up to receive text messages.  Again, they have the option (and actually, you do as well for your own profile) to set up how you want to receive notifications and the frequency of those notifications.  So yes...it's entirely possible that a student could turn off all notifications about course events via e-mail and only receive notifications via text message or Twitter, for example.  Again, the choice is their.

Here are some Canvas Guides I found for your reference:

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications?

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas?

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas?

I hope this helps, Daria.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@daria_minina ​...

To be clear, course "Settings" are only something that instructors/teachers/admins have access to.  These are settings about the course that a student cannot control or set.

But, what I think you're actually asking about are notification settings for a student.  So, to answer that question, yes...it's entirely possible that any given student could go to his/her notification settings (via "Account" >> "Notifications") and choose to not receive e-mail notifications of course announcements.  Or, they may choose to get e-mail notifications about new announcements immediately, via a daily summary, or via a weekly summary.  It's entirely their choice.  In addition, students could also choose to receive a notification about a new announcement if they connected a Twitter account or if they set it up to receive text messages.  Again, they have the option (and actually, you do as well for your own profile) to set up how you want to receive notifications and the frequency of those notifications.  So yes...it's entirely possible that a student could turn off all notifications about course events via e-mail and only receive notifications via text message or Twitter, for example.  Again, the choice is their.

Here are some Canvas Guides I found for your reference:

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications?

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas?

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas?

I hope this helps, Daria.

View solution in original post

daria_minina
Community Participant

Thank you! Now I understand how it works...

Are there any options to prohibit to "switch off" notification to the e-mail?

Hi  @daria_minina ​...

I'm not aware of anything in the current user interface that would allow students to not be able to control their announcement notifications.  Further, if there were anything like this, I *think* it would affect every single user in your school's Canvas instance...because everyone is first a "user" in Canvas with a profile, and then they are assigned at the course level to a specific role...such as "Teacher", "Student", "TA", etc.  So, if this kind of option were available, it seems to me this would be an "all or nothing" option...which might not be the best.  There may be ways to hide this setting at the account level via a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) or JavaScript, but I'm not a programmer to know if this is possible or not.  And, you'd have to work with someone at your school who is an admin for your Canvas instance to discuss any ramifications of wanting to do this for your entire Canvas instance.

Hope this helps...

d_ellis
Community Contributor

I'm not aware of any way to push specific notification settings to individual users. However, a while ago I wrote a script that admins can run to view users' notification settings. At least at our institution, almost no-one (<2% of students) fully disables their announcement notifications.

And, as we tell students, if you disable notifications then you also disable the right to complain if you miss something important Smiley Happy