cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard_gardner
Community Participant

Can students reply to a discussion and only the teacher can read their responses?

Jump to solution

I would like to use the discussion feature to get student input into the course, but I want students to be able to write only to me, the teacher, without other students reading what they wrote. Is this possible, or is everything a student writes able to be read by everyone else?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SkyVKing
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Richard,

Hi! When a student responds to a course-wide discussion, their responses can usually be viewed by all (except if you have the option "Users must post before seeing replies" selected- that option is not your solution, though). If you are really set on using a discussion forum to do this, you could put each individual student into a group of 1 member and use the group discussion to post your inquiry for feedback. Although that's a bit of work.

Have you consider the use of a survey instead?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SkyVKing
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Richard,

Hi! When a student responds to a course-wide discussion, their responses can usually be viewed by all (except if you have the option "Users must post before seeing replies" selected- that option is not your solution, though). If you are really set on using a discussion forum to do this, you could put each individual student into a group of 1 member and use the group discussion to post your inquiry for feedback. Although that's a bit of work.

Have you consider the use of a survey instead?

View solution in original post

Thanks! I’m a new user so I can use all the help I can get. I’ve looked through your links, then played around with the survey on my sandbox course, and it seems like it will work for me.