cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snmargeson
Community Participant

Can students self-enroll in a specific section of a course? See below for context.

Jump to solution

We've started a Canvas training course for our teachers and I've made sections for each building.  I'd like for teachers to self enroll in the course but I want them in their specific section(building.)  Will I have to hand move them or can they enroll in a section specifically?  @kona ​ you're a guru, any thoughts on this?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@snmargeson ​, thank you for the vote of confidence, but I'm definitely not an expert in self-enrollment. All of our orientation enrollment is handled programmatically on the back-end.  Yet, from what I do know about self-enrollment it is not possible to have people self-enroll into a specific section. When you set up the self-enrollment option for a course it's done for the entire course, not a specific section of a course - How do I change self-enrollment settings for my course?. So yes, this means you'd be moving them around by hand, which is why we just enroll everyone ourselves automatically.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@snmargeson ​, thank you for the vote of confidence, but I'm definitely not an expert in self-enrollment. All of our orientation enrollment is handled programmatically on the back-end.  Yet, from what I do know about self-enrollment it is not possible to have people self-enroll into a specific section. When you set up the self-enrollment option for a course it's done for the entire course, not a specific section of a course - How do I change self-enrollment settings for my course?. So yes, this means you'd be moving them around by hand, which is why we just enroll everyone ourselves automatically.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

View solution in original post

snmargeson
Community Participant

I was preparing myself for that answer!  I still like the idea of teachers being grouped by their building, so it looks like I'm going to hand move 400 teachers.  Wish me luck!

Yeah, not fun! Good luck!

I just did a quick search and there are two feature ideas that go along with this:

• " modifiedtitle="true" title="Allow self-enrollment by section - this one is archived, but it's a good idea to comment on why this would be helpful and follow it in case there are any updates.
  • - if you don't have your instance of Canvas set-up with sub-accounts then this wouldn't help much, but if you do then definitely up vote this and comment on why it would be helpful!
kathleen_akers
Community Member

You could copy the course and give separate buildings the different enroll codes. 

e_j_m_vanwinger
Community Participant

I was trying to open a new section in a course (for recycling with a new batch of students within one year) for self-enrolment. I set it up to set a time limit on the current section, and a later start date for the new section. This would, presumably, only allow the new section for enrolment, so that all new enrolling would be moved automatically into that section.