Can students view assignments from other sections?

Jump to solution
d4685x
Community Member

Hi. I have my course, which is ungraded, divided into sections. When I create an assignment, it is assigned to only one section. I was under the impression that students in a section could only see assignments assigned to their section. However, a student told me he saw all assignments as overdue that were assigned to sections that he isn't part of. I looked in Student View, and I could also see all past assignments for all sections listed here. I'm unsure if Student View considers one section only, though, or if it accounts for the course as a whole.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
smoore12cocc
Community Explorer

Hello there! You can limit which section the assignment is available for by using the "Assign" area when you edit the assignment. From the Assignments tab, click to Edit an assignment, click More Options, scroll all the way down to the Assign area, click in the Assign To area, and choose which section to assign this to. Then click Save. I hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nwilson7
Community Champion

@d4685x It sounds like you pretty much answered you own question.  The "Everyone" designation is literally everyone (student wise) regardless of when they become part of the course.  This is by design as it would be very undesirable if every time a new student was added to your course, you had to go back and assign them all the assignments they have missed.  (you then would have a different definition of "everyone") If you do want to exempt them from old assignments that are assigned to everyone, you can exempt them in the gradebook by either typing EX as their grade or using the grade pop-out screen and choose exempt as the status instead of "late" or "missing".  If that is your end goal, you may find this route much easier than going back to each assignment.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post

0 Likes