Can students watch studio quiz assignments past the due date?

Jump to solution
ahenschel
Community Participant

I am teaching a course online and want to award points to students for completing lecture videos.  I started using Canvas Studio video quizzes by embedding them as an external tool in an assignment.  I set the due date, but did not set availability dates.  I was hoping students would be able to view the videos past the due date and I would manually adjust grade for 'lateness'.  Once the due date had passed, I received a message from a student saying they couldn't view the video.  I checked with another student who did watch the video before the due date and she still had access to the video.  So, it appears that students who don't attempt to watch the video and answer the questions by the due date will not be able to view the video after the due date.  The only options for this on my end would be 1.) not have due dates in Canvas, but that is likely to create a lot of confusion from the students who like referencing their 'upcoming assignments' list and 'calendar' for assignments or 2.) not embedding the video with the external tool feature and just embed content in the directions in the assignment (obvious choice, but then requires manually checking who viewed the video and then entering grades).

Is this outcome (that students can't watch videos past the due date in a studio quiz assignment created with the external tool feature) what is expected in Canvas or something that needs to be fixed?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ahenschel
Community Participant
Author

My LMS team enrolled me as an authentic student so that I could test this feature myself.  I was able to view the Canvas Studio video and complete the Canvas Studio 'quiz' past the due date.  (Reminder that I don't have any dates set in the 'available until' date.) The gradebook populated with my score as well.  The student has also had issues uploading assignments, so I think her inability to watch the video was a data/streaming issue and not a Canvas issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes