cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda_flores
Community Participant

Can't find the option for breakout rooms

Jump to solution

I've been watching tutorials to learn how breakout rooms work. The first thing you have to do is to click the gear botton and choose breakout rooms. The thing is that when I click the gear button, the option of breakout rooms is not there. Can I only see it if I already have students logged in? 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Linda,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton and work at Blindside Networks.  While I can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can answer your questions.

The default version of Canvas Conferences (BigBlueButton) does not have breakout rooms enabled, and the recording expire after 14 days.   You can upgrade to the Premium Tier hosting for Canvas Conferences at any time, which includes

For details on upgrading to the Premium Tier you can reach out to your CSM.

> So, if I have a course with a lot of students and I want them to be able to meet in groups in conferences, and I can go in and out of the rooms. How can I do that?

Yes, you can go in and out of the rooms.  This video Breakout Room Tutorial - YouTube shows how an instructor can monitor the other breakout rooms and join them at any time.

288864_pastedImage_19.png

One comment between the Free Tier and Premium Tier -- over the past few years much every new feature has gone into the Free Tier.  Looking ahead, you expect the HTML5 mobile client for BigBlueButton to be available in the Free Tier as well.

The only feature we disable in BigBlueButton Free Tier is the breakout rooms.  All the other features in the Premium tier are additional capabilities that we have added to our hosting environment for BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Product Manager
I also moonlight as CEO of Blindside Networks

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @linda_flores 

Canvas does not have a feature called "Breakout Rooms".

Since those are typically associated with webinar apps, I am suspecting that your are either talking about the built-in Canvas Conferences (which does not include breakout rooms), or a different webinar product that has been integrated with your Canvas account.

The built-in conferencing tool is a stripped down version of Big Blue Button, and while the full version of BBB does include breakout rooms, the lighter version in Canvas does not.

Do you know which webinar tool has been included in your Canvas account. Once we know that, we might be able to help you.

Kelley

linda_flores
Community Participant

OK, that explains a lot. But it's kind of confusing that when you log in to a conference in Canvas, the first thing you see on the first page are the different options the program has, and there you see the breakout rooms option. There is no way you can know that that option is not really available.

So, if I have a course with a lot of students and I want them to be able to meet in groups in conferences, and I can go in and out of the rooms. How can I do that? Can I open many different conferences and have them active at the same time? I will have groups opened and let the students choose groups by themselves, but how can I then invite the students of one of these groups to the same conference? 

linda_flores
Community Participant

I think it's big blue botton. 

Hi again,  @linda_flores  !

I'm going to ping  @ffdixon ‌, the CEO of Blindsides Network, the makers of Big Blue Button which powers Conversations in Canvas.

He can answer your questions so much better than I can!

Thank in advance, Fred!

Kelley

Hi Linda,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton and work at Blindside Networks.  While I can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can answer your questions.

The default version of Canvas Conferences (BigBlueButton) does not have breakout rooms enabled, and the recording expire after 14 days.   You can upgrade to the Premium Tier hosting for Canvas Conferences at any time, which includes

For details on upgrading to the Premium Tier you can reach out to your CSM.

> So, if I have a course with a lot of students and I want them to be able to meet in groups in conferences, and I can go in and out of the rooms. How can I do that?

Yes, you can go in and out of the rooms.  This video Breakout Room Tutorial - YouTube shows how an instructor can monitor the other breakout rooms and join them at any time.

288864_pastedImage_19.png

One comment between the Free Tier and Premium Tier -- over the past few years much every new feature has gone into the Free Tier.  Looking ahead, you expect the HTML5 mobile client for BigBlueButton to be available in the Free Tier as well.

The only feature we disable in BigBlueButton Free Tier is the breakout rooms.  All the other features in the Premium tier are additional capabilities that we have added to our hosting environment for BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Product Manager
I also moonlight as CEO of Blindside Networks

View solution in original post

alice_bingham
Community Participant

Hi there, 

When did the lack of breakout room functionality leave from the Canvas integration? I used it regularly with my learners until my course finished in June and it was such a useful feature, we're now considering using competitors who do enable this, which is a shame as we love Big Blue Button in every other way!

Kind regards,

Alice