cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnreddy
Community Participant

Can’t open iPhone app at all

Jump to solution

I cannot access iOS app at all: I had an iPhone 6s Plus and now I have iPhone X, but none of them could open canvas at all: it launches and crashes before it show anything. Is there any way to trouble shoot or see error log to get help?

! Thanks 

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnreddy
Community Participant

Update:

The problem is solved!

After contacting with the iOS team, team lead Layne helped me with patience and care, and walked through several possible solutions with continuous updates on the app.

Now with the newest update, the problem of mine solves by:

going into settings app - Student - Reset Cache on Next Launch, which will clear data that could cause the problem - as told by Layne. Then after those old login data is completely cleared, the problem is gone as well!

Hopefully this will help all others who face similar problem, and I really appreciate your help to everyone who helped me in this thread, and the iOS dev team!

THANK YOU ALL!

View solution in original post

29 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

HI johnreddy‌ ~ It's really too bad that you're not able to open the app on your phones, especially if they're up-to-date. Just for clarification, which app are you hoping to use?

johnreddy
Community Participant

Hi!

I am trying to use Canvas Student, the app’s link is:

Canvas Student 来自 Instructure Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/cn/app/canvas-student/id480883488?mt=8

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone and sorry for my typo.

在 2017年11月12日,13:50,kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com <instructure@jiveon.com> 写道:

Canvas Community

Re: Can’t open iPhone app at all

reply from Kristin Lundstrum in Find Answers - View the full discussion

HI Zhenghong Zhang ~ It's really too bad that you're not able to open the app on your phones, especially if they're up-to-date. Just for clarification, which app are you hoping to use?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Canvas Community

Start a new discussion in Find Answers by email or at Canvas Community

Following Re: Can’t open iPhone app at all in these streams: Inbox

Getting too many emails from the Community? You might want to update your email preferences, check out this guide on notification streams, or simply unsubscribe (sniff).

>

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi johnreddy‌,

Does the app crash on launch or after you try to login and access your course? Also, do you have any other Canvas apps installed on your phone (Canvas Teacher or Polls). Thanks!

johnreddy
Community Participant

Hi, I originally have only Canvas Student (the one with orange-red logo) and it will crash on launch, i.e. I cannot even see log in panel at all. 

After your reminder, I downloaded Canvas poll, and unfortunately it still crashed at launch.

I was going to ask what OS you were running, but I'm assuming iOS 11 since you are on an iPhone X. You said you had issues with your iPhone 6s Plus too? Maybe something funny was migrated to your iPhone X from the 6s. 

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app? 

Also, try installing the app on a completely different phone that isn't attached to your account or backup. If you can login on another phone, then this might help us figure this out. 

As for an error log. The app does create one, but you have to be able to access the app to send it to Instructure. 

johnreddy
Community Participant

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it did not work. And yes, the iPhone X is migrated from the old iPhone 6s Plus.

I’ll try to test the app on my friend’s device in the next couple of days, but I assume that it would not fail... because the app crashes before I could see login interface on my device, so it maybe account unrelated.

I assume I may could access the error log because I could access some part of the file system using iMazing, but I need to know the path of the log first...

On second thought, though, I remember I was able to login at first on the old device, but suddenly one day it started to crash and never came back again. But it was about a year ago and I cannot tell whether it was because an update on my phone, on canvas, or something else. I did have another account from my previous institution expired in that one year’s time, though.

I hope these recollections could help a little in figuring out the problem!

Sent from my iPhone and sorry for my typo.

在 2017年11月17日,上午9:31,stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com> 写道:

Canvas Community

Cant open iPhone app at all

Stefanie Sanders marked Ryan Seilhamer's reply on Cant open iPhone app at all as helpful. View the full reply

Marked as helpful:

I was going to ask what OS you were running, but I'm assuming iOS 11 since you are on an iPhone X. You said you had issues with your iPhone 6s Plus too? Maybe something funny was migrated to your iPhone X from the 6s.

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

Also, try installing the app on a completely different phone that isn't attached to your account or backup. If you can login on another phone, then this might help us figure this out.

As for an error log. The app does create one, but you have to be able to access the app to send it to Instructure.

Following Cant open iPhone app at all in these streams: Inbox

Getting too many emails from the Community? You might want to update your email preferences, check out this guide on notification streams, or simply unsubscribe (sniff).

>

johnreddy
Community Participant

Hi,

i have a friend using another iPhone, and he installed Canvas on his phone, it is working well. 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is quite interesting. It sounds like this issue is following you around on your device and its backups? It's a lot of work to completely set up your phone again to get the app to work, but this might be your answer. 

Another suggestion would be to remove all your Approved Integrations. The app creates an approved integration to each new device. If you can remove the one attached to your smartphones then it "might" fix your issue. You can find these integrations in Canvas at

1. Login
  2. Go to Account on the left menu
  3. Click Settings
  4. Your Approved Integrations will be at the bottom of the page. Just click the trash can to remove the one associated with your iPhones.

After this quit the Canvas iOS app and try again. 

Hope this helps. 

johnreddy
Community Participant

I still don't think it is a problem with accounts since I cannot even see the interface to select school at all. The attached picture is all I could see on my device

I see this logo, and then crashes out of the app.

I see this and then crashes out of the app.

And I don't have Approved Integreation in my current Canvas account.

I have one canvas account associated with my previous school, but that account have been deleted since I have left that school. Thus I cannot check whether there were any approved Integration in that account in history.