Can't reply to discussions as a TA

Jump to solution
JusFed
Community Member

Hi,

I have been added as a teaching assistant to several Canvas modules. In all of the discussion sections there is no reply field visible. I can only see "reply" if I turn on "student view", which is an imperfect work-around as my posts then appear to come from "test student".

Can the module administrator give me permission to reply somehow? Is this a default setting in Canvas? If so, why wouldn't TAs be able to participate in discussions, as they can create, edit and delete them?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @JusFed ...

I think you'll need to reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator on this one.  It sounds like this would be a permission setting that your Canvas admin would be able to tell you more about.  Specifically, there is a permission at the course level called "Discussions - post", and this may be turned off at your school for the "TA" role.  But, your Canvas admin would be able to tell you for sure if this was the case.  What user roles and permissions are available in Canvas?

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post