cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mworden
Community Participant

Can't unpublish a quiz (with no student activity)

Jump to solution

I'm trying to unpublish a quiz, but I receive a message that says "Can't unpublish if there are student submissions". I have checked and there has been no activity. Any idea how I can get around this? I have successfully unpublished 2 quizzes, but this one is being tempermental. Thanks for your help.

Tags (1)
43 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks! Appreciate you doing that!

thatcher_bohrma
Community Participant

I see the same thing happening in ours: testing the quiz in student view, even after resetting, prevents us from un-publishing. I am submitting this to support.

mworden
Community Participant

Follow-up Information

Here is what support reported:

I'm sorry the quiz is not allowing you to unpublish. I've had an opportunity to review the quiz, and it looks like the reason it cannot be unpublished is because someone took the quiz under student view. When I checked student view there was a grade for the exam.
Because of this attempt, the quiz cannot be unpublished. You can export the quiz file then delete the quiz and reimport the quiz, and that'll clear out the attempts.

This is interesting because when I go to student view and look at grades, there is no entry in the gradebook. Taking  @kona  suggestion I reset the student view. This removed all activity, but still wouldn't allow me to unpublish the quiz. I guess my only recourse is to export the quiz file, delete the quiz, and then reimport the quiz. It just seems like a lot of work, and it's odd that I can't see any student activity in that quiz.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

Hi  @mworden ​,

Did you happen to take the quiz as the instructor instead of going in as a test student? It will give you the same warning saying that you can't unpublish because of student submissions (even if no students have taken it).

I have seen this happen to a lot of faculty, If you do this, then it does not allow you to unpublish the quiz.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

A very fast way to get the quiz back online so you can unpublish "someone in the community mentioned awhile back" is to stay in the same course,  go to import content into the course, select the same course (you will get a warning) and select Specific Content, select the quiz that can't be unpublished, and once you bring it into the course, Delete the one that has been giving you problems.

russelljohnson
Community Participant

I was informed by Tech Support yesterday that there is a bug that prevents you from unpublishing a quiz with no student or Student View attempt if the instructor took the quiz themselves, instead of previewing or using Student View.

mworden
Community Participant

Dale,

This is a development course and there are more hands in it that just me, so I can't say one way or another if someone took the quiz. However from the instructor view there is no indication that this happened (that's where the frustration lies). I like your "trick" for quickly pulling in the replacement quiz and then deleting the problem quiz. I'll give that a try.

olexar
Community Contributor

I just saw this happen while helping another instructor develop his course. He previewed a quiz, and subsequently could not un-publish. Seems like a bug...

kroeninm
Community Champion

Yes, there are two ways to view a quiz from the Instructor perspective.

If you use the Preview button at the top right, everything is happy and good.

If you use the Take the Quiz button at the bottom, you cannot Unpublish the quiz as it's a bug.

To be careful, I always tell instructors to take the quiz from the student perspective as you can easily reset the student view and unpublish the quiz still.  I've not had trouble with that.

- Melanie

heidi1
Community Contributor

By any chance did you have your "Test Student" take the quiz?  I have found that even if you reset your test student, you cannot unpublish a quiz that has been taken by your test student.

I've been meaning to ask about this.  Should this be?  This has caused considerable consternation with some of my faculty as I have told them their test student can do just about anything but a Collaboration.

Always seeking more Canvas clarity.

Heidi