Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troy-carroll

Can teachers view SIS ID or Secondary ID in concluded course?

Jump to solution

We are planning to conclude courses using a term end date, but it has been pointed out that when a course is concluded the SIS ID column is removed from the people page in the course, and the SIS ID and/or the secondary ID are removed from the gradebook. 

Grades for a student may need to be referenced for incomplete grade reporting and not having the unique ID to reference in a concluded course may be an issue. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @troy-carroll  

I just checked our instance, we conclude by term dates. I looked at past courses for which faculty still have access (we extend faculty access out two full years after completion), and SIDs are still displayed. When I look at courses older than two years, they do not.

That, I think, is the key - set teacher access out to the length of your state's retention period. Then, despite the course being concluded, Faculty can still view SIDs for that period.  Here is a screenshot of our term settings..........

315315_pastedImage_2.png

End of course settings and their associated behaviors are rather complex in Canvas.  Here is a nice discussion about this from the Canvas Doc Team How do term dates, course dates, and section dates work in Canvas? 

I hope this works out for you,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @troy-carroll  

I just checked our instance, we conclude by term dates. I looked at past courses for which faculty still have access (we extend faculty access out two full years after completion), and SIDs are still displayed. When I look at courses older than two years, they do not.

That, I think, is the key - set teacher access out to the length of your state's retention period. Then, despite the course being concluded, Faculty can still view SIDs for that period.  Here is a screenshot of our term settings..........

315315_pastedImage_2.png

End of course settings and their associated behaviors are rather complex in Canvas.  Here is a nice discussion about this from the Canvas Doc Team How do term dates, course dates, and section dates work in Canvas? 

I hope this works out for you,

Kelley

0 Kudos

Thank you. That is very helpful. And you are right, end of course settings are tricky trying to get the right behaviors. Your suggestion of extended teacher access dates is very helpful and I believe will suit our needs.