cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Can we get conference (Big Blue Button) analytics?

Jump to solution

We are moving to Canvas and offering weekly web training conferences for our faculty.  Of course we know who join the conference, but is there a way to know how many watch the recording and if so, any data about them to help us know.  We are using the free version of Big Blue Button so our recording only lasts the 2 weeks.  Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Judy,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton (Canvas Conferences) and the CEO of Blindside Networks, the company that started the BigBlueButton project in 2008.  We've been working closely with Instructure for over five years now.

While I can't speak for Instructure, I can say that there isn't any way (at the moment) to track the number of views for a recording.  It's something we want to add in the future, along with some analytics on user activity that occurred within the session (such as how long users were in the session and their level of activity).  No promises on delivery dates, but more analytics is along the lines of what we want to provide Canvas users.

I'll be at InstructureCon 2017 giving a presentation on "Canvas Conferences goes Mobile", so please track me down before/after the session and I'd be happy to chat further.

Regards,.. Fred

View solution in original post

22 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@judy_harmon , I'm not aware of the ability to access this information, but I've shared your question with  @ffdixon  who should be able to help!

ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Judy,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton (Canvas Conferences) and the CEO of Blindside Networks, the company that started the BigBlueButton project in 2008.  We've been working closely with Instructure for over five years now.

While I can't speak for Instructure, I can say that there isn't any way (at the moment) to track the number of views for a recording.  It's something we want to add in the future, along with some analytics on user activity that occurred within the session (such as how long users were in the session and their level of activity).  No promises on delivery dates, but more analytics is along the lines of what we want to provide Canvas users.

I'll be at InstructureCon 2017 giving a presentation on "Canvas Conferences goes Mobile", so please track me down before/after the session and I'd be happy to chat further.

Regards,.. Fred

judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Fred (and Kona) thanks so much for the quick response.  We'll look forward to those future additions to BBB.  It would be great to meet you and to attend InstructureCon 2017 but I'm not going to be able to this year.  Hopefully your session will be recorded and I'll be able to view it later!  The mobile feature will be nice to have with conferences.  Thanks again.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'll be at InstructureCon 2017 giving a presentation on "Canvas Conferences goes Mobile"

That's awesome!!!

brendaa
Community Contributor

I have a related question.  Is there anyway, from the admin level, to tell how many courses are using Conferences?  I don't see any reports on this feature.  Is this data included in Canvas Data?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ffdixon ‌, can you help with Brenda's questions?

ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Brenda,

I can't speak on behalf of Instructure, as we're providing the hosting for Canvas Conferences, we can give you a rough idea -- such as a record for each meeting that includes the start time and the instructor's name.  

Message me directly with the name of your school and I'll see about pulling out some of the recent data.  

We do this anytime for customers that have upgraded to the Premium Tier, but if your on the Free Tier we don't mind doing a pull of the data to give you a sense of the usage.

Regards,.. Fred
BigBlueButton Product Manager
CEO Blindside NEtworks.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ffdixon , WOW! Super fast and super helpful response! Thank you!!

brendaa
Community Contributor

Thanks, Fred!  I am trying to message you within the community without any luck.  I am "Following" you, but maybe you have to accept the "follow"?  In any case,  I'd love to see any data you could provide regarding usage of BBB in Canvas.  Our instance is https://stedwards.instructure.com.

My email is brendaa@stedwards.edu.

Thank you!