cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Can we set a self assessment using a rubric?

Jump to solution

A buddy wanted answers to this:

After the students have learned the basics of Lego building and coding, I give them a design project with more freedom: design a robopet. I  have attached the rubric.

I want them to do self-assessment, so that they can choose to upgrade the parts of the assignment that meet the top-level criteria. I do this because I have a lot of students willing to take on my advanced challenges, after they complete the basic assignment. The basic assignment needs to be simple to accommodate remote students without support and the less talented/motivated students.

If I make a Canvas rubric, is there a way they can submit an assignment and then do self-assessment using that rubric?

My interest is piqued. Ideas welcome. 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@Bobby2 ,

This is not currently possible. Some discussion of this happened here: Student Self-Review 

There is a feature idea open for voting here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5123-create-a-student-accessible-rubric-for-self-assessments 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
James
Community Champion

@Bobby2 ,

This is not currently possible. Some discussion of this happened here: Student Self-Review 

There is a feature idea open for voting here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5123-create-a-student-accessible-rubric-for-self-assessments 

View solution in original post

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks  @James .

Do you think a teacher could get kids to make a comment when they submit their assignment based on the rubric? Might take a bit of training. 

Or make a separate assignment with the rubric that the kids submit?

James
Community Champion

The problem with Canvas is that even if you have a separate assignment, they still won't be able to do a peer review on themselves, which means that they won't be able to fill out the rubric.

You could add peer reviews to the assignment and then randomly assign the reviews, giving each person 1 other person to review. Then be very clear in the instructions that they are filling out the review for themselves. That lets the other student see the rubric and work of another student, though, but you could leverage it as getting feedback from another student -- which is how peer reviews were intended. That's a "weak-at-best" option. 

You might be able to use an external tool like Google forms. If you want the students to do it, you probably need to make it a separate assignment.

There is one way I can think of to do this inside Canvas, but it's not with rubrics. Let's call it a pseudo-rubric. Set up an ungraded survey to act like a rubric. Each criterion becomes a multiple choice question and each rating becomes a response for that question. Don't shuffle the order of the question responses. If you want them to keep coming back to the same rubric, then allow multiple responses.

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Nice idea  @James 

I guess Collaborations would work too with the rubric embedded. 

Food for thought. 

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Of course they should but they cannot yet. The idea has garnered lots of votes. It is a very popular request with so many positive outcomes. I guess attaching a rubric design to the assignment and sharing as collaboration works or getting students to submit own rubric though feedback?

Wish we had something like this - Workshop activity - MoodleDocs 

kevin_jackson
Community Participant

I keep seeing "no-one else had this question" whenever I see things posted, but I frequently have the same question. Is there an "I have this question too" button that I'm missing?

Hi  @kevin_jackson , before a question is answered correctly there is an option to click on 'I also have this question'. 

345757_AAAA.PNG

Or click on Mark as assumed answered.