cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mduncan
Community Participant

Can you combine individual semester courses into one canvas course?

Jump to solution

Can you combine individual semester courses into one canvas course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Mark - Our courses do, as well, and though admittedly we do allow faculty to adjust the end date in their course, in theory the cross-listing should not affect this, and here's why:  when you cross-list a course, you "move it into" another course site so that what were two have now become one, BUT the settings that were in the one you moved it into are what both sections assume.

Even I'm confused after reading that, so let me illustrate.  I went to our TEST server and we had an ART 105-01 and an ART 105-02.  (Note to faculty from my institution reading this:  this was on a TEST server; no real Spring semester course sites were affected by this experiment!)  A typical request will come from a faculty member wanting these two sections combined.  Normally, I will go to section 2 and cross-list it INTO section 1.   So, here were the course settings for section 1:

art 105-01.jpg

The ENDS date is set to May 10, 2017.  Here were the course settings for section 2:

art105-02.jpg

Here, you see the ENDS date being set to May 7.   However, because I cross-listed section 2 INTO section 1, the end result is that the remaining course site (section 1), now has the ENDS date of May 10.

Does that help at all?  I realize everyone's situation may be a bit different with SIS integration and all that, but that should not have any affect, since you're kind of moving one class into the other.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mduncan ​,

Yes, this is called cross listing in Canvas:

How do I cross-list a section in a course?

Hope this helps!

Robbie

mduncan
Community Participant

Thanks Robbie. The problem we may run into is the fact that our semester

courses have an end date at the semester.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 9:53 AM, rogrant@nmsu.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

kblack
Community Champion

Mark - Our courses do, as well, and though admittedly we do allow faculty to adjust the end date in their course, in theory the cross-listing should not affect this, and here's why:  when you cross-list a course, you "move it into" another course site so that what were two have now become one, BUT the settings that were in the one you moved it into are what both sections assume.

Even I'm confused after reading that, so let me illustrate.  I went to our TEST server and we had an ART 105-01 and an ART 105-02.  (Note to faculty from my institution reading this:  this was on a TEST server; no real Spring semester course sites were affected by this experiment!)  A typical request will come from a faculty member wanting these two sections combined.  Normally, I will go to section 2 and cross-list it INTO section 1.   So, here were the course settings for section 1:

art 105-01.jpg

The ENDS date is set to May 10, 2017.  Here were the course settings for section 2:

art105-02.jpg

Here, you see the ENDS date being set to May 7.   However, because I cross-listed section 2 INTO section 1, the end result is that the remaining course site (section 1), now has the ENDS date of May 10.

Does that help at all?  I realize everyone's situation may be a bit different with SIS integration and all that, but that should not have any affect, since you're kind of moving one class into the other.

View solution in original post

mduncan
Community Participant

That is very helpful. Thanks

Mark Duncan

kblack
Community Champion

Glad to help, Mark!  Which reminds me, every Canvas institution should have a TEST server that you may want to try things out on first, just in case.....  Information is here:  How do I access the Canvas test environment?