Can you create breakout rooms in Canvas Conference?

Jump to solution
lesley_jolly
Community Novice

I teach Drama in a high school in Australia.  My region is in full lock down, so our new term start has been delayed for at least another week.  Our entire school will be operating through Canvas, with even the students whose parents are essential workers, or for those students who  cannot be safely supervised at home, working at school in small groups.

It's VERY hard trying to devise Drama based activities that will particularly suit the reasonably large cohort of students who have extremely low literacy skills, so I've been trying to find ways that will allow Drama students to be able to 'work' in small groups, online. 

What I'd like to be able to do is have the students in pairs and threes, in Conferencing groups, through Canvas, in a way that I'd still be able to see and hear what they're doing.   Our education authority prefers us to use Microsoft Teams for online staff meetings, and has advised against Zoom completely.  Is this possible?  Are there any ways I could do this? 

1 Solution
Bobby2
Community Champion

Hi  @lesley_jolly  Welcome to the Canvas Community. Nice to see someone else from Tassie here!

You can indeed create breakout rooms in the Conference Tool built into Canvas.

Since you are from the Tas DoE this playlist will work for you - very quick videos showing how both Big Blue Button (Conferences) and Teams Meetings work in Canvas. We have a Canvas Conversation session about Conferences this coming Thursday at 3:30 here's the link for that - LINK.

Sing out if you need a hand. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes