cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mporuban
Community Member

Can you please tell me an easy way to download discussion posts into one report, such as an Excel file? Thank you!

Can you please tell me an easy way to download discussion posts into one report, such as an Excel file?  Thank you!

10 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mporuban ,

Out of the box, there is no native way to achieve this in Canvas. You could use the API to extract this information, but this would require development skills.

Is that a track you would be willing to go down?

Cheers,
Stuart

HI Stuart,

We may be interested in that path. We would want to download the discussion posts each class so that we can compare pre and post responses from students.

What developmental skills would be required to extract the information? Thanks for your response, Michele

Hi  @mporuban ,

You would need someone who has done scripting before (a variety of languages would suit such as (but not limited to) Python, Perl, Ruby. They would also need experience in consuming APIs. I would highly recommend a read of Canvas APIs: Getting started, the practical ins and outs, gotchas, tips, and tricks‌ which covers off a range of things to be aware of and serves as a great getting started guide.

I will also take the opportunity to share this with Canvas Developers‌ who may be able to provide insights into specific ways you could achieve this (in more detail).

I hope that helps!
Stuart

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

You can add this.js to your account or add Tampermonkey and then add the .js and you will be able to download discussions. Here is the link http://www.dartmouth.edu/~breid/userscripts/ .

We are using this program for one of our non-credit programs and it is working great!

John Boekenoogen, PhD

University of Oklahoma

bec_plumbe
Community Participant

Thanks John - this is genius! Totally worked for me and saved me probably hours of work! Canvas should really have this integrated, but in the meantime this is an amazing option.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @mporuban ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I happened to stumble upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since April 9, 2019.  i wanted to direct your attention to a reply from  @jrboek  (above) on January 2, 2019.  Have you had a chance to review his potential solution?  If so, did his response help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from members of the Canvas Community?  If you feel that John's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to his response.  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know by posting a message below letting us know how we might b able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for more than three months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Michele.

mporuban
Community Member

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your email. I am still working on executing the directions suggested, but hopefully the one listed by John will work. Please do go ahead and close the conversation on the LMS community. Have a good day, Michele

Hi  @mporuban ...

There isn't any need to close this discussion out completely before you've had a chance to fully try out John's suggestion.  Once you have tried out the steps he has provided, please come back to this topic.  If you feel that his response helped to answer your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button next to his response.  Or, if you have questions for him, please post a message below his response.  I hope this helps...thanks for responding.

John, just wanted to thank you for this fantastic script! Also saved me many hours of work - much appreciated.