cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timothy_maw
Community Champion

Can you restrict students from editing calendar events within a course?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to restrict students from editing Calendar Events inside of a course? We have instructors using the course calendar as a way to show when students have clinicals but students being able to change the information is detrimental so I'm trying to see if there is an option to not allow students to edit the calendar events for the course.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@timothy_maw ​, you'll need to check with your school's Canvas admins to see what course-level permissions the student role at your institution has been given. The default set of permissions does not allow students to edit course calendar events. They can only add events to their personal calendars.

student-calendar-permission.png

For more about course roles and permissions, please refer to How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account?​ and the PDF document linked therein, Canvas Permissions PDF.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@timothy_maw ​, you'll need to check with your school's Canvas admins to see what course-level permissions the student role at your institution has been given. The default set of permissions does not allow students to edit course calendar events. They can only add events to their personal calendars.

student-calendar-permission.png

For more about course roles and permissions, please refer to How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account?​ and the PDF document linked therein, Canvas Permissions PDF.

View solution in original post

Thank you. I thought there must be a way but I could not find where it was. I have not disabled it. If only you could grant that permission at a course by course basis though.

@timothy_maw , perhaps you could create a custom role only for those specific courses where you must have that capability available for students. I would hope it would be rare--but I am not immediately picturing the use cases, so if you'd like to have other Canvas Admins weigh in on that, you might want to initiate a separate discussion to solicit advice.