cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dworrel
Community Member

Can you set a maximum point value for an assignment?

Jump to solution

I noticed that on assignments a score can be entered that is higher than the maximum point value of the assignment (for example:  an exam is worth 100 points but a score of 200 can be entered).  Is there any way to prevent this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

That's a great question,  @dworrel , and I think the answer is no: there is no maximum, which means there is no check mechanism for teachers who inadvertently enter the wrong figure in the score box. I know this because I had an assignment that was worth 100 points; one of my sharp-eyed students looked at the grade range for the assignment and saw that one student had received a score of 1000 (of course, my fault, PEBKAC). She was not the lucky student, and I am grateful that she brought it to my attention.

On the other hand, there are situations where teachers want to give an assignment more points than it is set for, over and beyond the maximum--for example when a teacher wants to grant extra credit. I have a little bonus assignment I give to my students, to make sure they are paying attention, and I promise them that I will add five points to their grades for a specific high-consequence assignment if they complete a certain task. So I want to be able to give those five extra points to students who have already scored 100 on the assignment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

That's a great question,  @dworrel , and I think the answer is no: there is no maximum, which means there is no check mechanism for teachers who inadvertently enter the wrong figure in the score box. I know this because I had an assignment that was worth 100 points; one of my sharp-eyed students looked at the grade range for the assignment and saw that one student had received a score of 1000 (of course, my fault, PEBKAC). She was not the lucky student, and I am grateful that she brought it to my attention.

On the other hand, there are situations where teachers want to give an assignment more points than it is set for, over and beyond the maximum--for example when a teacher wants to grant extra credit. I have a little bonus assignment I give to my students, to make sure they are paying attention, and I promise them that I will add five points to their grades for a specific high-consequence assignment if they complete a certain task. So I want to be able to give those five extra points to students who have already scored 100 on the assignment.

View solution in original post

dworrel
Community Member

Thank you, Stephanie, for your response. I totally understand instructors wanting to give more points for a given exam. I, like you, am worried about inadvertently giving a student too many points, especially since I have TA’s that enter scores in my gradebook. In the last CMS we used, we had an option per assignment to allow extra points or not. If you entered in a score above the maximum amount of points, a box would pop up and ask you to verify that you wanted to enter a higher score. That one step helped prevent me from accidently entering a higher score. I was hoping Canvas would have something like this.

Thanks again for your reply!

-Dara

Dara D. Worrel

Associate Professor of Mathematics

Mathematics Department Co-chair

Math Learning Center Coordinator

Cerritos College

11110 Alondra Boulevard

Norwalk, CA 90650

Email: dworrel@cerritos.edu<mailto:dworrel@cerritos.edu>

Website: www.cerritos.edu/dworrel<http://www.cerritos.edu/dworrel>;

MLC Website: www.cerritos.edu/MLC<http://www.cerritos.edu/MLC>;

Checking to see if this has been fixed. I want to be able to have a maximum point value.

@brookemartinez ‌, an "excessive points" alert was implemented last year. Please refer to Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-09-17) : "Excessive points can occur when the amount entered is 50% above the total possible points or when an extra digit is entered (e.g. 500 instead of 50). The alert is also generated if an assignment is given negative points." This change is reflected in the Gradebook lesson How do I enter and edit grades in the Gradebook?