Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
integrityeducat

Can you transfer/move a section from one course to another?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to move or transfer a section in Canvas from one course to another? And If we transfer a section to another (Very similar) course will it keep the details of the section? (Example: Due Dates, Release (Unlock) dates and Quizzes/Assignments that are identical in each version of the course)

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

integrityeducation, above Ken has gone one direction with your question (the literal moving of a section - group of students), but when I read your question I thought you might be talking about a section as in a small chunk/section of content from one class to the other. If you are trying to move a “section” of course content (not people or submissions) from one class to a different class you can use the following directions - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13101-4152497985 It’s been a while since I double checked this, but I believe settings and the due date does get copied over with the content. I know it does if you are copying the entire course. You can test this if you want in the Beta or Test environment Ken referenced above. 

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Champion

Good catch,  @kona ‌!  Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi integrityeducation Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community and thanks for your question, which is a good one and one that has come up before in similar ways.  Before I say anything else, however, my first piece of advice is to experiment first on either your Beta installation or Test installation!  (I'm also not sure if you're an administrator or instructor, but the links here should apply in either case, though if you are an instructor some institutions do not allow their instructors to do their own cross-listing.)  This is going to be critical because there are several possible "gotchas" involved that careful reading of the links below will reveal.

This will, as you may already know, be a two-step process:  de-crosslisting a section from the class it is currently in and then doing another cross-list into the course you want the section to be in.  The bottom line to consider is this:  have the courses in question been published and do the courses in question have material submitted by students, discussions, etc.?  If the answer is "no" in both cases, you will be fairly safe.  (Though I would still do it first in Test or Beta.)

In addition to the documentation linked to above, I recommend you read over the following previously-posted discussions on this topic:

As you can see, much has to do with your current class situation.

So while I cannot provide a really direct answer to your question, my own experience (as I related in the first link above) is that items like student submissions will get tossed after the merge is complete from one class as will existing student grades.  Even with identically-named assignments, Canvas will not "know" to merge them all together, because each assignment carries its own unique ID in the Canvas course database.  (All the better reasons to be doing this before the course is published.)

I hope this helps a bit, Kim, to at least steer you in the right direction.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

integrityeducation, above Ken has gone one direction with your question (the literal moving of a section - group of students), but when I read your question I thought you might be talking about a section as in a small chunk/section of content from one class to the other. If you are trying to move a “section” of course content (not people or submissions) from one class to a different class you can use the following directions - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13101-4152497985 It’s been a while since I double checked this, but I believe settings and the due date does get copied over with the content. I know it does if you are copying the entire course. You can test this if you want in the Beta or Test environment Ken referenced above. 

Hope this helps!

Kona

kblack
Community Champion

Good catch,  @kona ‌!  Thanks.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

integrityeducation,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie