cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robin_snead
Community Member

Can you turn off the course summary feature?

Jump to solution

My question/comment concerns the "Course Summary" that automatically populates on the Syllabus page. My issue with this is that even if a Module is set to require a student to complete one assignment before they complete another assignment, students appear to be able to "work around" this restriction by clicking on the assignment from this "Course Summary." Is there a way to "turn off" this summary feature? If not, then there seems to be no point in setting the "Students Must Move Through the Assignments in Sequential Order" requirement for a Module. (If I'm missing some detail here that prevents students from working around the restriction, please let me know. I've tried to look at everything in both instructor and student view.) #coursesummary

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

The rather simple solution is to hide the syllabus content area, and post your syllabus in your orientation module. How do I manage Course Navigation links? 

That being said as a temporary work-round, there is a related item on the product team's radar and open for voting that you might be interested in at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6601-option-to-exclude-assignments-from-syllabus 

Let me know if that idea meets your needs, and we will archive this one to avoid duplication.

Kelley

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

The rather simple solution is to hide the syllabus content area, and post your syllabus in your orientation module. How do I manage Course Navigation links? 

That being said as a temporary work-round, there is a related item on the product team's radar and open for voting that you might be interested in at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6601-option-to-exclude-assignments-from-syllabus 

Let me know if that idea meets your needs, and we will archive this one to avoid duplication.

Kelley

View solution in original post

I did think about what you suggest here, and may use this idea in the future, but it’s not an immediate solution as I’m now halfway through a course (at a university with traditional fall/spring semesters). Making this change now would, I’m afraid, confuse students. (Although I admit I’m so frustrated with students completing assignments without doing the preliminary work in other assignments, which negates the whole point, that I might do it anyway.)

I did vote on the “option to exclude assignments from syllabus,” which is precisely the solution I need.