cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_sanzin
Community Champion

Can you unassign an assignment?

Jump to solution

I have an #assignment that I have assigned, but I have decided to eliminate it this semester. I do not want to delete the assignment. I just want to cancel it. Is there a way to do this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @james_sanzin ‌ - It depends!  If it is an online assignment and no submissions have come in yet, you can simply unpublish it.  If it is an on paper/no submission assignment, even if grades have been recorded you can still unpublish it.  If, however, it is an online assignment and submissions have started coming in, you will not be able to unpublish it.  Since you do not want to delete it, you can mute it, but will have to live with the fact that your view of the gradebook will differ from what students are seeing for total scores (as Canvas reminds you).  In this scenario, for your own sanity--if not your students'--you may want to change all grades to EX (for excused) so that it does not count towards the final grade.

I hope this helps, James!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @james_sanzin ‌ - It depends!  If it is an online assignment and no submissions have come in yet, you can simply unpublish it.  If it is an on paper/no submission assignment, even if grades have been recorded you can still unpublish it.  If, however, it is an online assignment and submissions have started coming in, you will not be able to unpublish it.  Since you do not want to delete it, you can mute it, but will have to live with the fact that your view of the gradebook will differ from what students are seeing for total scores (as Canvas reminds you).  In this scenario, for your own sanity--if not your students'--you may want to change all grades to EX (for excused) so that it does not count towards the final grade.

I hope this helps, James!

View solution in original post

james_sanzin
Community Champion

@kblack ‌ that helps a ton!! Did you by any chance go to Full Sail?

kblack
Community Champion

Good to know, James.  And no--I did not.  (And just had to Google it to see what it was, I must admit!)

james_sanzin
Community Champion

@kblack ‌ I had you mixed up with another Ken that I graduated with. Just now realized I remembered you because you are one of the people who often provide help on here. Thanks for all the help.

kblack
Community Champion

Always happy to help when I can, James!