Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can you use a different grading scheme for different quizzes inside the same course?

I use grading schemes for my courses, they let you set a classification of your letter grades or a limit for "pass" in your course and it shows up automatically in the grade book.

The problem is that the grading scheme covers the total course and only grades the students total score in the grade book. This works fine in my courses with only one exam, but I have a course that has two multiple choice quizzes. In the first quiz the students need 100 % to pass and the second only 60 %, and they need to pass both quizzes to pass the course. Is it possible to assign two different grading shcemes to a course? One for each quiz?

Someone recommended I use the "Assignment Group" function, that alows you to group assignments or quizzes and weight them differently, for example if one assignment is worth more than another assignment, and you want one of them to count for 80 % of the total grade in the course and the other only 20 %. But that is not quite what I am looking for.

Does anyone know if you can use different grading schemes for different quizzes inside the same course?

Or does anyone know it I can use the "Assignment Group" function to achieve the same result?

Does anyone know if this is possible to do in the new

Thank you for any advice.


3 Replies
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @kristine_hansen ‌, to increase the exposure of your question, we've moved it to the Find Answers‌ space, and have also shared it to the relevant user group, New Gradebook Users Group, so that it will attract the attention of gradebook experts. If you're not yet a member of the user group, you can easily join by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown you'll see at the upper right of the group home page.

Thank you ☺

Med vennlig hilsen

Kristine Eraker Aasland Hansen

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @kristine_hansen ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I'm not sure that I have an answer, but I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since March 20, 2018.  It appears that you may have stumped the Community with your question.  Have you been able to find any solutions on your own since you first posted this question?  If so, would you be willing to share back here in this thread?  Or, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let us know that as well.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not necessarily because we've found a solution for you...but more because we've not had any new activity in this thread for four months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Kristine.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.