cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardcallahan
Community Member

Cannot find a course I was recently added to

Jump to solution

A colleague recently added me to a course so that I could import it to my own Canvas shell.  I was told that Canvas would send me an email inviting me to the course.  However, I have received no such email.  I have tried searching for the course in the Commons, and only two of that instructor's courses are visible, both of which are not the course I need.  I'm getting extremely frustrated because your guides do not provide any answers and are written using terminology I am unfamiliar with.

I need to find this course and import it because I've agreed to teach a fast track course which opens on October 30 and need to time to set things up.

Can you help me?  How do I find the course which the teacher has added me to?  Where do I look for the invitation email because it is NOT in my email at all.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @edwardcallahan ...

When you are signed in to Canvas, go to "Courses" >> "All Courses".  Is your course listed somewhere on that screen?  If not, you might want to check with your colleague again to see if he can see the "Pending" label next to your name when he looks at the "People" area of the course.  Your colleague can also re-send you the course invite if that will help.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

When you are signed in to Canvas, go to "Courses" >> "All Courses".  Is your course listed somewhere on that screen?  If not, you might want to check with your colleague again to see if he can see the "Pending" label next to your name when he looks at the "People" area of the course.  Your colleague can also re-send you the course invite if that will help.

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@edwardcallahan   (a somewhat belated) Welcome to the Canvas Community! (It looks like you've had an account for a little while but have just started posting.)

@chofer  has given you great advice. Also, just to cover all of the bases, I wanted to mention that sometimes course invitation emails go into Spam (or perhaps Clutter, if you're using Outlook), so please check those areas for the email as well if you haven't already.

As yet another alternative, your colleague can export the course in question and provide you with a file that contains the export package; you can then import that into your course shell by following the instructions in How do I import a Canvas course export package? . 

We're happy to help you work through this, so let us know how you proceed.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @edwardcallahan ...

I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I noticed that we've not heard from you since you first posted this question on October 19, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that stefaniesanders and I have provided to you so far?  If so, did either of our responses help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions yet as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that one of our above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please let us know by posting a message below so that Community members might be able to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for about four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Edward.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Everything is fine. Thank you. But not because of any solution I could find on Canvas, so that was not helpful. Quite frankly, your guides are a nightmare to navigate, and are written in the kind of "insider talk" that makes them only intelligible to those who either write the codes for Canvas or who have been using it for years. Not helpful nor customer friendly.

That's my feedback. Sorry it's not good, but when I can't find solutions in your own guides, then you're wasting my time and the time of probably dozens of other customers and users who need solutions to appear quickly

I am sorry to hear that you feel that the Guides aren't easy to navigate. Like you, I am a fellow member of the Canvas Community, and I am not employed by Instructure.  What I can tell you is that you can navigate to any of the Guides and post a message at the bottom of any one of them if you think clarification is needed.  You'll typically get a response from the Canvas Docs Team after posting a message.

There are a couple ways that I typically navigate to the Guides:

• Within Canvas, click on "Help" and then "Search the Canvas Guides".  Then, click on the red "CANVAS GUIDES" button where you'll be able to choose a specific role.
  • Or, if I'm already here in the Canvas Community, from the "Home" page, I can click on the link to "Guides" on the left side of the screen, or I can click on "Answers" at the top of the screen and then the red "GUIDES" button.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Edward.  Thanks for checking back in earlier today.

I have done those things, and have still be unable to find the solution. The really troubling thing here is that the original question was posed several months ago, and now suddenly Canvas is getting around to addressing it. That's not winning the case for you.

Sorry.

@edwardcallahan ‌, please know that you posted your question in the worldwide Canvas Community, where your fellow Canvas users exchange their tips and tricks about how to use the Canvas platform to engage learners. It's not a technical support forum, and the members of this forum do not have access to specific school accounts and courses.

That said, even though this is a user-to-user community, it looks like you got some very quick responses! When you navigate to the discussion, you'll see that you initially posted your question on October 19, and  @chofer ‌ responded on October 19; I followed up on October 20 with some other suggestions. It's possible that you missed those replies?

We know not everyone wants to read through guides and lessons, so we also have a set of video resources. Here's one on importing course export packages:  Video Link : 1105  

Finally, in looking at your college's website, we see that West Hills offers a 24/7 Canvas Support hotline number: Help Desk | West Hills College . If you're having difficulty finding your answer in the Canvas Guides, or don't have time to look, the technical support staff at your school can look directly at the settings in your account and get you a quick answer.