cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bridget_griggs
Community Member

Cannot open documents in the Canvas Teacher App for Android

While I am on the Canvas Teacher App on my Android tablet, it will not allow me to open the documents that students have attached to the discussion. When I click on the paperclip icon and then click open with, it gives me an error message saying I do not have the software to open it but I do have software on my tablet that opens documents and presentations. Please assist and thank you!

7 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bridget_griggs ‌: I don't have my Android tablet testing device currently on me, so I'll have to test this out tomorrow, but in the meantime: 

1. What tablet are you using?
  2. What Android operating system? 

Once I do some testing, I'll report back. 

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A and it is Android version 7.1.1.

Bridget Griggs, Ph. D.

Faculty

Ashford University

bridget.griggs@faculty.ashford.edu

www.ashford.edu<http://<br/>www.ashford.edu>;

Higher education made affordable SM

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello again,  @bridget_griggs ‌: 

I tested this out on the exact device and Android OS as you described and ran into the same issue. I have PowerPoint and Google Slides installed on the device, but can't seem to open it (or preview the PPT) from the the Teacher app. I even tried this through the Inbox and got the same error. The same error appears on two other Android testing devices, so this doesn't seem specific to Samsung devices. 

At this point, I suggest you report this issue to your local Canvas tech support or Canvas support directly. I will do the same and hopefully we'll get a fix soon. Thanks. 

Thank you Ryan! Glad to know it's not just me. I'll report this bug.

Bridget Griggs, Ph. D.

Faculty

Ashford University

bridget.griggs@faculty.ashford.edu

www.ashford.edu<http://<br/>www.ashford.edu>;

Higher education made affordable SM

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @bridget_griggs ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since your reply to  @rseilham ‌ on January 5, 2018.  I don't have an Android device myself, but do you know if this issue is still occurring for you?  Or, has there been updates to the app since January that have resolved the issue?  If you could please come back to this thread to post an update for us, that would be great.  Also, if you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  But, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know that as well.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over three months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Bridget.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you for checking in Chris. I haven't had another course scheduled to check so not sure at the moment.

Hi  @bridget_griggs ‌, 

Once you do in the future, please feel free to update this discussion and we'll take it from there. Good luck!