Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yc-sean

Canvas Admins Can't Take Course Quizzes?

Jump to solution

I'm a Canvas admin as well as a student in two courses (same login/single account as we utilize SSO with our institutional LDAP serving as an IDP via CAS).  I've submitted two quizzes recently in one course, and the instructor says he doesn't see the submissions.  When complete, they are scored, although to begin the quizzes, my only option is to click on a "Preview" button (verbiage changed from earlier in the semester when I believe it said, "Take Quiz").  I thought the instructor was giving me a hard time, but in going back into the course, it shows that I never submitted anything.

Are admins not allowed to participate in a course, or is this a configuration problem on our end, or is this a user problem on my end?  I am enrolled as a student in the course as confirmed in the section enrollment details.

FWIW, it seems as if this behavior has changed in the past two months, because I never had this problem at the beginning of the semester...

This is awkward as finals are this week and I'd like my instructor to not think I'm BSing him that I completed the final exam...

Thanks in advance for any clarification on what's going on and whether it's my fault... Smiley Happy (it probably is)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

yc-sean​, the fix for this is now in beta (under Quizzes): Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-05-23)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
James
Community Member

yc-sean​,

What you're seeing is happening to other people, so it's not just you. One recommendation I saw was for admins who are taking courses to use one login for a student and a separate one for an admin. What I did for a quiz I had to take for HR training was to print it (on paper or PDF) to demonstrate that I had taken it.

I don't know what the official solution is going to be, but Canvas is aware of the issue.

My guess (not based on anything other than what I read in the Community) is that it's related to Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-03-12) [jump to the Quizzes portion] that says it fixes the quizzes for instructors. If an instructor took a quiz, it then had submissions and it couldn't be unpublished. That probably coincides with your timeline of when the problem appeared. An instructor is a course level role, so you could be a student in another course, but an admin is an account level role, so you're an admin everywhere.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

yc-sean, I'd like to add one note to  @James ​'s spot-on advice: When you were taking the quiz, where you "went wrong" (although from your standpoint, you wouldn't have realized that you were doing something out of the ordinary or that something had changed in Canvas functionality) is here:

...although to begin the quizzes, my only option is to click on a "Preview" button (verbiage changed from earlier in the semester when I believe it said, "Take Quiz").

That's the clue, because at that point, you were exercising your Admin-level privileges. Students can't "Preview" a quiz, and when you clicked on Preview, you were not actually submitting the quiz as a student; rather, you were checking it much as a teacher (or Admin) might do.

This recent inability of Admins to take a quiz is indeed a known issue, and the engineers are working on it.

yc-sean

Hi James and Stefanie - thank you both for the timely and helpful responses!  I did perform a search before I posted this and didn't see anything referencing admins and quizzes, so I apologize if this topic has been discussed at length already.

My first-world problem rant:  I realize I'm part of an extremely small group (admins + enrolled students), but it's still unfortunate that this change was made mid-semester given that it adversely impacts the ability of this specific population to function - being unable to submit quizzes and tests is obviously sub-optimal in an e-learning environment.  And yes, I realize that workarounds are available, but for the past eight plus years I've been able to use a single login within Blackboard, and for the past several months been able to do so within Canvas.

I guess I'll hope that the engineers come up with a fix in a timely manner and be glad that the semester is over in a few more days... Smiley Happy

Anyway, thanks again to you both for the helpful responses - it's nice to get timely and useful feedback!

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

yc-sean​, the fix for this is now in beta (under Quizzes): Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-05-23)

Hi Stefanie - that's great news.  Thanks for remembering this thread and updating me!

Is this really a complete fix?  I thought admins couldn't submit assignments either.

@abunag ​, I wasn't aware that there was an issue with admins enrolled as students being unable to submit assignments; the fix is specific to quizzes. If you or your admins are experiencing any issues with submitting assignments, please ask them to open support cases.