Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgibson1
Community Member

Canvas Analytics

I run detailed monthly reports on Canvas usage. Everything from assignments to grades and discussions is tracked. I then map that data against trend lines to look at overall usage. Curious, this semester we had a record number of courses, faculty, and students using Canvas, yet the metrics for the components was noticeably down. We know students are using more mobile devices for Canvas, so I got to thinking if perhaps metrics are not being tabulated when the user accesses from a mobile device (?). How could the number of courses and users be up, and yet usage (access) to the components be down?

Secondarily, I would LOVE to have metrics specifically on mobile usage.

8 Replies
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

rgibson1 - I apologize that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response! Were you able to devise a solution independently, and if you were, would you take a moment to let us know how you accomplished this? In the meantime, I shared this question with a few people privately, but I am also going to tag CMUG so we can get some folks collaborating!

@KristinL ‌ I've not learned anything more.

My understanding is that mobile usage is not accounted for in analytics but it's something that Instructure is considering.

bdye
Community Participant

This is my understanding as well. I was able to pull more data using Canvas Data rather than reports and filtered by user agent to get a rough idea on mobile access.

My understanding is it doesn't track the app but will the browser on a mobile device. I'm not sure why this isn't a higher priority. Canvas is certainly aware it is an issue and was brought up at InstructureCon to the mobile development team.

Brian

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have been successful in pulling native app data from the Canvas Mobile app. The Android app is relatively easy to find, but iOS has a basket of user agents to search through. Here is the list: 

iOS (in bold😞
a.       Canvas (example: Canvas/3.14.0 (iPhone; iOS 9.3.2; Scale/2.00))
b.       iCanvas (example: iCanvas/3.13.2 (iPhone; iOS 9.3.2; Scale/2.00))
c.       Canvas/com.instructure.icanvas  (example: Canvas/com.instructure.icanvas (1035; OS Version 9.3.2 (Build 13F69)))
d.      CanvasKit (example: CanvasKit/1.0)

For Android (in bold😞 
e.       candroid (example: candroid/4.5.0 (122))

Also, here is a presentation I did last year on this. 
I'm not a database expert, but I work with our admins to run queries against the data to get all kinds of fun information. 
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi rgibson1 -- It's been a while since we've heard from you! How are you doing with the student analytics? Were the suggestions that  @rseilham provided helpful to you? It would be awesome if you could take a few minutes and provide us with an update!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, rgibson1‌...

It's been a while since we've checked in with you, and so I thought I would do so.  It looks like  @KristinL ‌ did check in with you in May, but we didn't hear from you.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received above?  If so, did any of the responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still seeking some assistance with your initial question?  If you feel that one of the above answers has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  Otherwise, please post a message below letting members of the Canvas Community know how we can be of assistance.  For now, since we've not heard from you in a while and since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you, Rob.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

I am looking for the same information. I do not have the technical savvy or background to dig through all of the information that was contained in the Slides presentation that was linked above. I just want accurate data of all user logins - whether on the desktop site or through an app of any kind. (Preferably all in one place, but if I have to run separate reports for each platform, I am OK with that - we just need the data of the logins!)

Thanks,

Shilo Maack