cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beboutj
Community Member

Canvas Commons Direct Link/Shareable Link

Jump to solution

Is there a way to get a direct link to what I share in commons?  I'm hoping for something simple, like the shareable link option in google apps.  I'm trying to collaborate with other course alike teachers but they can't find my courses and modules in Commons.  I need an easier way to connect them to the resources I am sharing.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

laurakgibbs, what I was trying to understand was how you were getting the URL (direct link to Commons that worked) in the first place. Logging into my College's Canvas environment I was not able to replicate/find the direct link for that content. I did some research (based on your screen shots) and realized that people can log directly into Commons  and not through their school, which is really good information to know. Here is the link to log in directly to Canvas Commons.

If you go into Commons this way (and not through your school) you can get the direct URL to a Canvas Commons content item; it will be the URL at the top of the page.  And yes, once I got the direct URL and tried using it, it initially tried to redirect me to the login page, but as soon as I clicked the back-button it went to the resource. Or, if I was logged into my College's Canvas environment then it took me right there immediately.

**Update, something was bugging me about all of this so I went back and did some more digging and you CAN get the direct URL to a Canvas Commons resource from within your school's Canvas environment.

Directions:

1. Do a search in Commons

2. Find the content item you want the direct link for 

3. From the search page right click on the name of the content item and "Copy link location" (Important, you have to be back on the search page to do this, you can't be on the content item's information page)

4. Paste this link in your email, document, tweet, etc.

So...  @beboutj  the tl;dr (too long; didn't read) answer to your question is yes you can get a direct URL to a Canvas Commons resource. But, when someone tries to use the direct link they might need to click the back button if it initially redirects them to the Commons login page.

Huge kudos to laurakgibbs‌ for helping to trouble-shoot this and figure out the answer!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@beboutj , greetings and welcome to the Canvas Community! I did some playing around to double-check and no, there is no direct link to Canvas Commons content - which is unfortunate and I would personally appreciate. You could give them the name of the content item that was shared and then they could search for it (which isn't always that successful). Otherwise, if you are working at the same school then you could talk with your Canvas Admin about creating a group. By creating a group in Commons you could share resources with the people in the group and they would easily be able to find and download it. We've started using it recently and it's been working really well!

Hope this helps! Kona

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

This is one of the reasons why I was so concerned about problems with Commons search (is there a timeframe for when that new search will launch,  @Renee_Carney ? I'm still getting Andrew Jackson's jacuzzi, etc. because of the 3-character wildcard search results).

Although there is a way to link to the URL of an item in the Commons: the URL is very weird-looking -- for example, here is a link to Mike Caulfield's course in Commons:

https://lor.instructure.com/resources/502b782a3d094ed68fd53e237a9cf05c 

That link might not seem like it works (you will see a log-on challenge), but just hit your browser backspace bar, and it will work. If you are already logged in at Commons, you won't see a challenge.

At least, it works for me, and it seems to be a stable link.

But I may have misunderstood the question...? This is a link to the Canvas Commons homepage for the item:

screenshot of Canvas Commons page

Hi  @kona ‌, I thought I should ping you about this: I've found that the URLs for Canvas Commons content are stable, so you can link to them and share them, but maybe I misunderstood the question; the link I've found is the one for the catalog record of the item, not the actual contents...?  @beboutj ‌, it sounds like you just want people to be able to link to the courses or to the modules, not to the actual content items inside the courses/modules, is that right? I was not sure. See example above linking to a course in Commons. 🙂

laurakgibbs, this is interesting. When I go to the exact same page in Commons I get the following URL - https://richland.instructure.com/accounts/97773/external_tools/476722?launch_type=global_navigation - which doesn't get me back to this resource, it just takes me back to the main Commons page. Can you explain how you are getting to this page? So are you logged into your school's Canvas environment and then clicking on Commons or are you doing something else to get there?

Commons

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

It works if I am NOT logged in, but in a weird way! I put this link into my browser (Chrome) 

https://lor.instructure.com/resources/502b782a3d094ed68fd53e237a9cf05c 

and it challenges me for a log-in as you can see, with the login url:

log-in challenge

But all I have to do is hit the back-button, and the page displays! As you can see in the upper right-hand corner, I am NOT logged in, but the page is displaying with the URL in the address bar. My guess is that it is something actually broken at the Commons site, and it is not supposed to work this way, but it does work:

Commons content page

Now I am curious, so I will go try it in Firefox.

Okay, same results in Firefox. I am not logged in to Canvas in any way. 

I enter the URL.

I am challenged for log-on, but instead of logging on, I just hit the back button. It takes me to the URL catalog page, but without having logged on.

Commons content page in Firefox

And one more test: if I am logged on at my campus Canvas instance and I use the URL, I am not challenged for a log in at all; the URL goes straight to the resource (you can see I am logged in in upper right-hand corner).

I think the different is that I am doing this OUTSIDE of the Canvas navigation frames...? I am just navigation the lor.instructure.com site (Commons).

That's one of the reasons why I really do not like working with Internet content in Canvas; you cannot see the URLs of framed content and you cannot bookmark.

Commons content page in Chrome; logged in

laurakgibbs, what I was trying to understand was how you were getting the URL (direct link to Commons that worked) in the first place. Logging into my College's Canvas environment I was not able to replicate/find the direct link for that content. I did some research (based on your screen shots) and realized that people can log directly into Commons  and not through their school, which is really good information to know. Here is the link to log in directly to Canvas Commons.

If you go into Commons this way (and not through your school) you can get the direct URL to a Canvas Commons content item; it will be the URL at the top of the page.  And yes, once I got the direct URL and tried using it, it initially tried to redirect me to the login page, but as soon as I clicked the back-button it went to the resource. Or, if I was logged into my College's Canvas environment then it took me right there immediately.

**Update, something was bugging me about all of this so I went back and did some more digging and you CAN get the direct URL to a Canvas Commons resource from within your school's Canvas environment.

Directions:

1. Do a search in Commons

2. Find the content item you want the direct link for 

3. From the search page right click on the name of the content item and "Copy link location" (Important, you have to be back on the search page to do this, you can't be on the content item's information page)

4. Paste this link in your email, document, tweet, etc.

So...  @beboutj  the tl;dr (too long; didn't read) answer to your question is yes you can get a direct URL to a Canvas Commons resource. But, when someone tries to use the direct link they might need to click the back button if it initially redirects them to the Commons login page.

Huge kudos to laurakgibbs‌ for helping to trouble-shoot this and figure out the answer!

View solution in original post

PS - Completely unrelated, but the content item you were linking to (for this example) really peaked my interest so I downloaded it and am working through it right now! Looks like some amazing resources that I could possibly use for my Stats class and the work we do with misinformation! Thank you!