cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ritap
Community Participant

Canvas Commons File Limitations

Jump to solution

Are there any file size limitations for Canvas Commons?

1 Solution
11 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not sure, but I've added some pretty big courses and I've seen other courses that were over the default course size and they all went into Commons with no problem.

I'm going to guess no, but I'm not 100% sure.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ritap , I have had the same experience as  @kona ; I've seen some massive courses in Commons, and courses of that size typically include video files--so I suspect the answer is that there is no file size limitation per se.  I've shared the question with someone who might be able to address the specific issue of file size limitations or lack thereof.

ritap
Community Participant

Thank you Kona! I couldn't find the answer anywhere and wondered if maybe there wasn't a limit.

ritap
Community Participant

Thank you Stefanie! I appreciate you sharing the question. Thanks again!

buddyhall
Community Champion

I also have not had a problem loading large courses to Commons. The issue seems to be when importing them. If the unpackaged file is larger than the course quota or the available space in the course then it will fail and it's not always easy to see why it has failed.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ritap , thus far our collective experience does seem to confirm that there aren't any limitations with respect to uploads to Commons, and that size-related issues only crop up when someone with course quota size limitations tries to import a large course from Commons....but I'm still trying to get a more definitive answer for you on this.

I've marked this answer as correct since the original question was regarding files rather than entire courses. Very nice work reaching out to the Doc team via the guide to get an answer to this one  @victoria-maloy ​.

Now I guess it's still a mystery about a course size, and if you have files larger than 500mb as part of a course what happens. I'm sure we'll sort that out in a future Q&A.

awilliams, I'm thinking the 500 mb size limit pertains to individual file uploads to Commons, but not to the size of files within a course that is uploaded to Commons. I say this because I know I've seen humongous courses in Commons, and what makes them so enormous is the larger-than-500mb-video files stored within. Having said that, I don't have a specific example right now. If I intersect with one, I'll post it here.